Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

Beans

Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

also, I recompiled a vanillas kernel, in order to can use the usb3 and optimice performance. If you wanna, you can download the 64bits .deb file here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YHZPH7OD
    Hi everyone,

Trevice can you please explain us what configuration you've used for your recompiled kernel in order to get usb3 working.
    What perfomance optimization have you done ?
    It might be nice if you explain how you get it working in order to improve the documentation about this laptop configuration. The usb 3 bug is a hard regression for me and other I think.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks a lot. I managed to turn off my Nvidia card on my Asus K53SV, however now my fan keeps spinning at full speed. For some reason i can't enable vga_switcheroo, so athe solution on the ubuntu help page (Hybrid grapics) doesn't work. Any pointers?

Beans

I just left the modules for the asus hardware, removing everything else. As you can see, this kernel is much smaller than the ubuntu's default.

Almost all remaining modules are built inside the kernel, not as a module, so the system boot faster. Only for be compiled in the host machine you get better performance, thats why gentoo people is so interested in compile everything by themselft

Finaly, as it been compiled in the u36 ussing version 4.6 of gcc in order to use the parameters "-march=corei7 -mtune=corei7"

to get the usb3 work I just enable that module (xhci), and it works. I tested with a usb3 hdd

I compiled a new version, the 2.6.38.6 one:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z9YGDRHC

if you would have any bug just tell me!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trevice View Post
    if you would have any bug just tell me!
    Thanks for your work. The deb file has also kernel configs. Could be useful for these who wants to compile Kernel specifically for their hardware.

I tried the kernel myself, but got problems as I have non standard hardware:
    SSD disk Vertex 2 and operation system: brtfs and fat32.

Haven't looked at config file yet, but suppose that support for brtfs is turned off? Or maybe support for SSD is not included?

Although it was not possible to load graphical desctop, my SSD with BRTFS was still mounted.

Trevice, maybe you have a quick solution?

BTW: with SSD ASUS u36Jc is like a rocket!
    Here is my personal site where I note configuration steps for myself. Feel free to reuse:
    https://sites.google.com/site/asusu36jc
    Last edited by DeeKey; May 15th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.

Beans

Trevice, thank you very much for your work. I installed your kernel, and it seems to be running very smoothly. I can confirm that the USB 3.0 port now works.

P.s. Hopefully it will work out with the SSD drive, I am thinking of getting one myself..

Beans

the kernel will work with a ssd, at least in my case I change the hdd for a intel's x25m sdd, and it's one of the better desitions I've never made ^^

Deekey, it has also support for btrfs and fat32 filesystems, so it should be other thing...can you send us your dmesg for debugging?

Beans

The stupid nVidia Optimus has forced me to run Windows on my u36jc, since i need to use both the VGA and HDMI-ports (2 external monitors).

The new bumblebee sounds promising though.

Is there anyone who has got both the VGA and HDMI-ports to work under Ubuntu yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trevice View Post
    the kernel will work with a ssd, at least in my case I change the hdd for a intel's x25m sdd, and it's one of the better desitions I've never made ^^

Deekey, it has also support for btrfs and fat32 filesystems, so it should be other thing...can you send us your dmesg for debugging?
    Trevice, I have attached archive with to text files: dmesg for the Ubuntu generic x64 kernel (dmesg_generic.txt) 2.6.38-8-generic

and the other vanilla-kernel.txt is the dmesg from the kernel you provided.

I also use tmpfs and aufs to prolong the life of my SSD.

All optimizations are described here https://sites.google.com/site/asusu36jc/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

using asus-switcheroo I could use the hdmi with the nouveau driver... but the price was high: I loosed the main screen xD

The optimus support is progresing in several directions, I'm following close (I wanna play my starcraft 2 as well as in windows!) but still needs time

Beans

Trevice, I also noticed, that my home folder is almost empty when I load your kernel. This could be due to the fact, that I checked "encrypt my home folder" during installation of Ubuntu. Maybe the kernel you provided lacks encryption modules...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast