Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

duende_2 and metasequoia, thank you for taking the time the test and reply, I appreciate it
    Hopefully there'll be a solution for HDMI soon, and even if not, i might get this laptop anyway It just looks so awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all, first of all thank you very much! It's a very good how-to. But I would like to know I there is another one with my problem. I installed Ubuntu 11.04(final) and sometimes I got black screens, now for example I can't even start the user session.

I don't know if applications like powertop or grano.la are the problem, it's a new laptop, with a ubuntu installation from scratch with just your instructions and the two applications above.

Is it common?

When I start Win7 it works perfect, so it seems that is not a hardware failure. I don't use M$(I don't like it and it doesn't offer all I need) so using win is not an option to me.

Is there any difference between these instructions and the final release instructions?

Any suggestion.

Thank you in advance!!

Beans

Exclamation Re: Setup Guide: ASUS U36Jc - Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha3 64-bit

I have the same problem with 11.04 final. It hangs lots of times when trying to login, not sure why yet. Sometimes everything freezes, and sometime it just stops after the "hard drive icon" fades in. But mouse still works. This was not an issue with the beta release.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, last Friday I reinstall all and I applied all modifications except optimus tip. I didn't install powertop and grano.la neither. Today I will install powertop and grano.la in order to reduce the energy consumption. I would like to know the origin of the problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using both apps without errors. As soon as I have 1 hour left I will apply the optimus patch and I will see. Is there anyone else with problems? Just 2 victims? Hopefully I won't fail again.

Beans

With my fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 Stable, I never experienced any hanging, the system is stable.
    I've done everything that is on the first post. I'm using acpi_call to switch off the discrete graphic card at startup.
    What is still not working on Natty compared to Maverick : HDMI port (it might be solved by using one of the untested solutions mentionned below)
    But what isn't working for me is the USB 3.0 port (it doesn't recognize any usb 2.0 or 3.0 device plugged in) which was working with Maverick.

Is there anyone who have tried the asus-switcheroo module from Alex Williamson to shut down the nvidia (and even use the nvidia) or the Virtual GL trick from Martin Juhl (see Linux Hybrid Graphics site and http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2011/05/op...roblem-solved/ ) with the Asus U36JC on Natty.
    Please report your experiment here in order to improve the installation documentation.

Thanks.

PS : According to my test the title of the tutorial should be changed because the configuration is know valuable for the stable release.
    Last edited by metasequoia; May 5th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm running Maverick, and I followed the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Asus_U36JC. They seemed to cover the same points, but there were no instructions to turn off the NVidia GPU to save power. Do I still need to do that on Maverick? Would the instructions for Maverick be the same as what I see above for Natty?

Beans

Hello everyone!
    I am trying to make my way through the Ubuntu world, and just bought this wonderful new laptop (U36JC)
    I have installed Ubuntu 11.04 and would really like to follow these procedures in order to gain a little bit of battery capacity...
    I have a problem though: I can't get further this step:
    Code:
    cd acpi_call/ 
    make
    because my terminal at this point returns this error:

Code:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic-pae/build M=/home/chiara/.optimus/acpi_call modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic-pae/build: File o directory non esistente.  Arresto.
    make: *** [default] Errore 2
    what have I done wrong?

I'm sorry for the silly question, but I am really a novice to linux code and when I follow code instructions for linux I have no clue of what these commands are doing...

Beans

Usb 3.0 port not working in Ubuntu 11.04 on Asus U36Jc

Hi everyone.

after a disastrous attempt to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 I made a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04, and for the most part, with the above tweaks it seems to be working just fine.

However, upon inserting any Usb device in the Usb 3.0 port the device is not recognized: it still receives power from the computer, but a HDD or Usb stick is not mounted, or a printer is not recognized.

With the previous version of the Kernel it was worse, as the kernel was panicking upon insertion of a device in the port (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/757242), so I suspect they might have simply disabled the feature in the current version of the kernel..

Did anyone get the Usb 3.0 port working with the final release of Ubuntu 11.04?

Beans

Hi everyone!

I've tested both optimus solutions in my u36jc, asus-switcheroo and bumblebee (this one basicaly use vglclient to send the nvida's images to the intel card). I can't get the first one working, the sreen freezes whenever I switch to the nvidia (but at least I could use the HDMI with nouveau!). The second one works! It's very easy to install, but you lose some performance. I suppose because the intel card creates a bottleneck at render the nvidia's images, you can test it here:

https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee

also, I recompiled a vanillas kernel, in order to can use the usb3 and optimice performance. If you wanna, you can download the 64bits .deb file here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YHZPH7OD

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast