Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming on the Cloud

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Gaming on the Cloud

Hello everyone, I saw this in an article somewhere and got curious. The basic idea is that there is a main computer connected to the internet with a list of games on it. The computer is powerful enough to run the games and then some. The idea is that the client (on a separate computer) connects to the server (the one with the games) and chooses a game to play. The server loads the game and does all of the grunt work and sends the image and sounds to the client. The client's keystrokes and mouse/joypad movements are sent to the server and then computed there. Essentially the client is used as the monitor, speaker, and input device and the server is just used as a processor/GPU. Is this possible at all? This would give me a use for my desktop that is still fairly powerful but I've stopped using as often because I have a new faster laptop. And this way if my friend comes over with his less powerful laptop we can be in a separate room and he can still access the games. Is this possible? Or is this way to complicated/require too much in resources to be feasible?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Gaming on the Cloud

i would assume its possable, theres wiki pages for what your thinking of. (at least how I interpret what you saying )

im the same as you on the topic though, no idea :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_on_demand

Beans

There are several, the ones to really watch for will be out later this year, I believe.

www.onlive.com (operational now)
    www.gaikai.com (in beta)
    www.gamestring.com (to be released)
    www.spoon.net (functioning now)

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm just wondering how it would work or if it could be done. I mean it's obviously possible, but can it be scaled down to home use?

Beans
    Distro

Any ideas? Maybe figure out how to make a virtual monitor port and link it to another computer running a program to translate the data? I really wouldn't know where to even begin with this.

Beans
    Distro

So nobody has any ideas?

Beans

I reckon you would need a very fast internet connection.

High framerates also require a lot of bandwidth to your monitor and I don't see how you are going to get the same experience/quality in the cloud.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Yup, this is basically a thin client/terminal service on crack. You'd probably need the bandwidth of bluray streaming, and that's what? About 3-8MB/s?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Yup, this is basically a thin client/terminal service on crack. You'd probably need the bandwidth of bluray streaming, and that's what? About 3-8MB/s?
    I think it's WAY more than that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well OnLive works very very well if you have a server in your local area. I know testing in Europe isn't going so well due to server proximity but I have read many reports of games publications trying it in places like San Fransisco where there is a server within say 5-10 miles of them and they have an excellent experience so I think it's a great idea, also the benefits are enourmous, no need for hardware upgrades for one. I think in a few years time when the technological infrastructure of the world becomes more sophisticated and services like OnLive roll out more and more servers across the world, this is where gaming will go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast