Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot open ConsoleKit session

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

cannot open ConsoleKit session

Since doing an update (Kubuntu 10.04), this message appears when attempting to log in;
    Warning: cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: the permission of the setuid helper is not correct.
    How do I fix this?
    And what is a setuid helper?

After clicking ok on the above warning, the system logs in, but gives 2 error messages;
    - removed sound devices
    - KNetworkManager cannot start because the installation is misconfigured. System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings. contact your system administrator or distribution. KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future.

Please, any tips on solving this?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: cannot open ConsoleKit session

It appears that the update process had trouble. This seemed to help fix it;
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Then rerun the update commands.

Beans

thanks for posting, had the same problem after changing from gnome to kde (and messing around with the configs) and this solution worked

Beans

Hi, I have installed Wubu on Windows 7. After I went to system options -> Application installation and updating -> selected all packages and instructed to update them all - the process halted on linux-header updating, but I needed to go sleep already, so I made system shutdown. On next day I got problems with audio driver and this error message presented in this topic have appeared. After running your instruction I get this:
    Обрабатываются триггеры для initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
    cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to detect canonical device of /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    cryptsetup: WARNING: could not determine root device from /etc/fstab
    Warning: No support for locale: ru_RU.utf8
    I only understand that root.disk is Wubu's disk image. From Windows side of view it is located D:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk. If I would setup Ubuntu in separate partion I think I wouldn't have this error, but I decided to use Wubu for simplicity

And question about root.disk. How I can be sure that some program will not fragment this file? I think if root.disk will get fragmented some horrible will happen, I don't use any defragmentator currently like Auslogic DiskDefrag ScreenSaver, only use default Windows 7 defragmentator and it is scheduled on Wenesday 1:00! How to add this file and swap.disk to exceptions so it not moved and not defragmented, like pagefile.sys? Or do Wubu done it for me?

Do I need to install something to be ru_RU.utf8 supported?

EDIT: after rebooting, my Windows 7 couldn't run without autorepair, only after long process of autorepair I could run Windows, but haven't checked for any file damage yet. I'm scared to run Ubuntu again
    Last edited by uelkfr; October 9th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

This worked for me!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jynyl View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    This worked for me! After interrupting my update (Kubuntu 11.04) all drivers seemed not to be working (wireless, cd-drive, usb ports, sound). Ran the command and everything back to normal now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the fix. Worked for me after Kubuntu updates to 11.04 caused loss of wireless network and sound.

Beans

Thanks for listing this fix, I will give it a spin - I'm new to Ubuntu becuz Ubuntu usually crashes within a few days. This is the first Ubuntu (Kubuntu 11.04 installed) that has ever worked for more than a day or two with me ...... we'll see if it lasts! I got the Ubuntu 11.04 Linux Identity Starter Magazine which included not only the 32 bit and 64 bit disk, but it had a disk with multi-boots of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Mythubuntu. I gotta say, this Kubuntu that I'm running has been flawless until I got the above message .

* Thanks, that worked swell!
    Last edited by Mizpa; December 15th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jynyl View Post
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    What exactly does this do? It fixed all of my problems and then some. Also, thanks!

Beans

Good Answer!
    I just had the very same problem. This solution worked fine! Now everything is running again as it is supposed to. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast