Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob with a failed install of 10.10 .

Beans

Noob with a failed install of 10.10 .

I am in the process of learning how to use Ubuntu, so I apologize if I put things into layman's terms. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to troubleshooting computers. What I have is a bunch of donated computers that are to be "refurbished" and given to people in need. The last group of systems to come in are some 3.0 GHz P4s with no hard drives. I have been suggesting that we start using Ubuntu/Linux (instead of Win-blows XP) as the OS, but a problem I've run into isn't helping my campaign.

I am getting the following error when I tried to boot from an install disc I've created.

BusyBox v1.15.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.15.3-1ubuntu5) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
    Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

I made another disc and got the same error. The hard drive is brand new. I have no idea where to go from here. We tried partitioning and formatting the HD. I am now trying to figure out if I can generate the "script output." If you can help me figure it out, please let me know. Thank you for taking time to read through this post!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Noob with a failed install of 10.10 .

It looks as though either the iso you burned to the disc is corrupt or it got corrupted during the burn process. I would suggest, burning the discs at the slowest possible speed, or even making a bootable usb with unetbootin

Downloading the ubuntu Torrent will mean that you shouldn't get a corrupt iso because the checksum (to varify that it's not corrupt) is part of the torrent download process (so I'm led to believe)
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you checked the MD5 sums of the .iso file you downloaded.

Beans
    Hidden!

did you use a rewritable cd?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by colkey View Post
    Have you checked the MD5 sums of the .iso file you downloaded.

How do I go about doing that? I have a working system with 10.10 on it (the "shop" computer), and I used it to download and create the boot disc(s). It said it went through the checksum process. However, I've only assumed it's OK as I don't know how to verify anything. At the moment, I don't have an extra computer to try another boot/install. I can get an identical system and hard drive to try it on, but it would have all the exact same specs.

So, is the "script output" something that I need to procure? I don't even really know what it is or how to go about finding it. As I mentioned, I just read another post where someone had generated the script output, and another forum member said it was very helpful. Almost everything I read on this forum is completely foreign to me, so I have no idea where to start. Thank you for the help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    did you use a rewritable cd?

I didn't use re-writable CDs. I can probably get a USB drive to try. Do I need to use a particular format when partitioning the hard drive? Would that make any difference for this situation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Her are two sites that you need to bookmark. At least I have them bookmarked because I use them when ever I download a new version.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    Enjoy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
    I didn't use re-writable CDs. I can probably get a USB drive to try. Do I need to use a particular format when partitioning the hard drive? Would that make any difference for this situation?
    it should be fine as it is, but fat32 usually
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    Her are two sites that you need to bookmark. At least I have them bookmarked because I use them when ever I download a new version.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    Enjoy.

I tried doing the MD5SUM procedure, but I only made it as far as opening a terminal. I have not been able to get it specify the download directory ("cd download_directory" just gives me a "no such directory" message.) I'm just feeling my way around in the dark, here. I have no background in computer programming/repair/troubleshooting. Most of the terminology used in the forum are words for which I have no referent. And here I thought that using a Linux-based OS would give people fewer problems than Windows. Is there such a thing as an OS that is reliable AND simple?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try
    Code:
    cd Downloads/
    That's a capital D - linux is case sensitive.

It just takes a while to familarise yourself with a different OS...once you do you will see the benefit of Linux
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast