Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which distro for XBMC HTPC (lightning boot time)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Which distro for XBMC HTPC (lightning boot time)

Not looked at Arch-Linux, someone else has suggested Vector-Linux. I've decided to experiment first installing a lightweight distro, install everything I need XBMC ect and strip it down of everything I don't (compiz, or whatever)....and see what happens

Ultimately, I will start from a server CLI install as tjones00 suggested, and then see if I do that.

But I'm not going straight to that as I'm not 100% comfortable with using the terminal commands to literlary setup EVERYTHING as my setup requires some customisation like skins, add-ons ect that arent in the generic repo's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which distro for XBMC HTPC (lightning boot time)

This may be a bit too late, but http://www.openelec.tv/ seems to be what you are looking for. I'm in the process of building a new HTPC, and after years of using MythTV ( first on top of standard Ubuntu, then Mythbuntu ) I've decided to switch to XBMC because I can no longer record TV anymore as Belgian cable providers crypt all the digital content. OpenElec seems to be the best solutions for a fast booting device that is only used for XBMC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12