Thread: Disk space disappeared

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Disk space disappeared

This is what happened...

I have a 30 GB ubuntu partition but i was getting warnings about less disk space remaining, when according to me i should have had 15gb space left. so i checked with disk utility, which did not help me. Then i installed xdiskusage, which showed those 15gb as permission denied. before i could begin to check for the source, everything crashed because my disk became full, and i am now not even able to login. can anyone tell me why is the 15-16 gb space showing up as permission denied, and how can i reclaim that space.
    i couldnt take a snapshot, but found this one on the net which closely resembled my situation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Disk space disappeared

it could be the root trash... (just a possibility)
    boot using a live cd, mount the partition and run gksu nautilus
    then, see if there are any files in .local/share/Trash/files which is located within the 'root' folder of that partition
    (press ctrl+H to see hidden folders/files)

Beans

Also, after mounting the partition from the live CD, run baobab (possibly as root). It's a great way to quickly find where your disk space is going.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parag14 View Post
    This is what happened...

I have a 30 GB ubuntu partition but i was getting warnings about less disk space remaining, when according to me i should have had 15gb space left. so i checked with disk utility, which did not help me. Then i installed xdiskusage, which showed those 15gb as permission denied. before i could begin to check for the source, everything crashed because my disk became full, and i am now not even able to login. can anyone tell me why is the 15-16 gb space showing up as permission denied, and how can i reclaim that space.
    i couldnt take a snapshot, but found this one on the net which closely resembled my situation.
    Did you happen to use K9copy or similar program to burn DVD? K9copy creates backup files in the Temp folder of each DVD; however, it does not delete them afterward. You must delete those files manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What if you mount all and
    Code:
    $ df -h
    ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
    Did you happen to use K9copy or similar program to burn DVD? K9copy creates backup files in the Temp folder of each DVD; however, it does not delete them afterward. You must delete those files manually.
    no, i definitely havent done anything like that...i have never even once used ubuntu to write a dvd..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Also, after mounting the partition from the live CD, run baobab (possibly as root). It's a great way to quickly find where your disk space is going.
    thanx, that did it...
    i found a file called doodle.db of size 18 gb in /var. i deleted it and everything is now up and running..
    any idea though how that file came there??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parag14 View Post
    thanx, that did it...
    i found a file called doodle.db of size 18 gb in /var. i deleted it and everything is now up and running..
    any idea though how that file came there??
    I did a Google search, and it appears that doodle.db comes from Doodle, a desktop search engine. I presume that you installed it and either it is misconfigured or buggy.