Thread: managing anonymity: major browser (FF/Chromium) vs. Text Based (Lynx/EMACS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile managing anonymity: major browser (FF/Chromium) vs. Text Based (Lynx/EMACS)

Question: So I am curious about something - please note that I am no linux or security expert- however I am wondering if managing ones anonymity online(though TOR etc) is easier in a complex modern browser (Tor + Torbutton etc) or though an older text-based browser like lynx or a browser embedded in Emacs.

Note: For the sake of discussion, lets assume that one doesn't need the content made impossible by text-based browsers.

Further Explanation of Question: I've heard about data "leakage" by some applications online or by extensions etc which can occur while using TOR on modern browsers. Would this same risk occur in text based browsers? Or would the inherent limitations in those browsers prevent such a leak?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: managing anonymity: major browser (FF/Chromium) vs. Text Based (Lynx/EMACS)

Please be aware that running your traffic through a proxy presents all kinds of security vulnerabilities. Save scenarios where you are performing criminal activity, opposing tyranical government, etc. you're security and privacy will be better served by not using a proxy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nrundy View Post
    Please be aware that running your traffic through a proxy presents all kinds of security vulnerabilities. Save scenarios where you are performing criminal activity, opposing tyranical government, etc. you're security and privacy will be better served by not using a proxy.

Yeah I suppose my question of security is less one of final result and more one of process. What I mean is I am not wondering which setup will yield the most secure/anonymous/private system, but rather, which system (one using a small text based browser, or one using the more robust but complex browsers) will be easiest to identify/view losses of said security/privacy.

Beans

Sounds like you have visited.
    http://panopticlick.eff.org/

The harder you try to limit the amount of information your browser offers a server the more "unique" you become. So.. Hide in the crowd?!

A proxy will only mask your ip address and possibly not that depending on the way the proxy is configured. (Tho TOR is probably your best option.)

Overall any publicly shared proxies are very risky.

Best Wishes.
    Lawrence Lessig - Copyright in RW/RO culture
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=byB7nKSnFBM Freedom is worth something volunteer your time, talents and dollars. How long will it last? You decide with your support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I posted some (general) information here:

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Privacy

Most of the issues, IMHO, are browser independent and I found firefox, with extensions, to be the most "private".

Ease or difficulty of TOR installation / configuration is NOT browser dependent, you simply point your browser to your proxy (r tor if you do not use a proxy).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am doubtful about being anonymity but i bet it is only privacy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by iiiears View Post
    Overall any publicly shared proxies are very risky.
    I think that's wrong. Who wants to use a proxy no one else uses? The more traffic, the better.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog