Thread: Do I really require to install fluendo complete playback pack?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Do I really require to install fluendo complete playback pack?

I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 with ubuntu restricted extras pack..I heard about this Fluendo DVD player and fluendo complete playback pack.. Do I really need to purchase these packs to play DVDs, WM formats, Divx and MP4? Please clarify.. Thanks!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Do I really require to install fluendo complete playback pack?

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 with ubuntu restricted extras pack..I heard about this Fluendo DVD player and fluendo complete playback pack.. Do I really need to purchase these packs to play DVDs, WM formats, Divx and MP4? Please clarify.. Thanks!!
    Not really. You can do all of that with free (ie, no cost in money) available from the repositories.

I suggest you enable the medibuntu repositories, and then install ubuntu-restricted extras, libdvdcss2, w32codecs or w64codecs, and then wait and see if anything else is needed as you use the system. That should cover everything you have listed, anything unusual you need will soon be shown in error messages as you try to play media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

do you need to purchase the pack? thats up to you to decide! they do have better support for media playback than the free codecs.
    but actually you don't need them, you can play almost every format with free codecs.
    to complement the ubuntu-restricted-extras codecs install the medibuntu codecs too.
    http://medibuntu.org/index.php

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    do you need to purchase the pack? thats up to you to decide! they do have better support for media playback than the free codecs.
    but actually you don't need them, you can play almost every format with free codecs.
    to complement the ubuntu-restricted-extras codecs install the medibuntu codecs too.
    http://medibuntu.org/index.php

What medibuntu codecs contain? Does ubuntu-restricted-extras codecs won't suffice? Sorry to bother asking questions? As I'm a beginner to ubuntu 10.10..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What medibuntu codecs contain? Does ubuntu-restricted-extras codecs won't suffice? Sorry to bother asking questions? As I'm a beginner to ubuntu 10.10..
    depends on what you need, if you want encrypted commercial DVD playback then you will have to get 'libdvdcss2' from medibuntu and if you plan to use a deferent player other than totem then you may need the w32codecs/w64codecs (windows codecs) and the unrestricted ffmpeg codecs.