Thread: doom 3 sound crackling

Beans

doom 3 sound crackling

Hi,

Today i installed doom 3 on my ubuntu desktop pc only the sound is driving me nuts. It has this irritating crackling in it. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Also i seem to be losing quite a lot of performance in comparison to windows.
    My fps are a lot lower in ubuntu.

I'm running a:

Amd 64bit 3200+
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    768mb of ram
    GF6800GT

Beans

Re: doom 3 sound crackling

Quote Originally Posted by Beire
    Hi,

Today i installed doom 3 on my ubuntu desktop pc only the sound is driving me nuts. It has this irritating crackling in it. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Also i seem to be losing quite a lot of performance in comparison to windows.
    My fps are a lot lower in ubuntu.

I'm running a:

Amd 64bit 3200+
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    768mb of ram
    GF6800GT
    did you upgrade with the latest patch? the latest patch fixes some sound and performance problems.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Re: emulator

Hi, i've gone from Vector Linux to Gentoo to Ubuntu (Cant complie any programs in ubuntu...) well, i would recommend using wine just because its free. Ive tried to download a free version of cedega, but i didnt find any. so Wine if you have a fast computer. I almost got Age of Empires working, except that some of the fonts didnt work =)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ante0
    Hi, i've gone from Vector Linux to Gentoo to Ubuntu (Cant complie any programs in ubuntu...) well, i would recommend using wine just because its free. Ive tried to download a free version of cedega, but i didnt find any. so Wine if you have a fast computer. I almost got Age of Empires working, except that some of the fonts didnt work =)
    you would recommend using wine over the native doom3 program? i am curious what your reasoning is for this?
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

Try turning off surround sound in the options. I had a similar problem, and turning that off fixed it.

Beans

new patch and turning surround sound off didn't help. Any other suggestions ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ante0
    May I ask why you can't compile programs in Ubuntu? Also, the free versions of Cedega can be found in the CVS.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans

first of all I got Ubuntu working( didnt know you had to install "install-essentials" package... ) Secondly i wrote that about me going between distros just to point out that not all distros work with your hardware, mostly it does but not always.
    And to the third thing, i now know that the CVS version of cedega is free. =)
    Last edited by ante0; March 30th, 2005 at 02:35 PM.

Beans

Actually I dont even know why I wrote in this thread... No one even mentioned Wine, or whatever windows emulator you should use.
    I'm sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Try turning down the PCM control in your sound card, whenever I put mine above 80 or so it always cracks my sound.

I ran the native doom3 in linux and it ran better than the windows version in windows...
    100 buckets of bits on the bus,
    100 buckets of bits,
    Take one down, short it to ground,
    FF buckets of bits on the bus.