Thread: Installation: Can't get past welcome screen

Beans

Cool Installation: Can't get past welcome screen

I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 onto a slow Windows computer, only having burned Ubuntu onto a CD two days ago.

When I put in the disc, there is the Ubuntu loading screen, but before the GUI pops up, there is a warning message. It might be a little off; I had to scribble it because it disappeared so fast. (I tried to test Ubuntu/install it on this desktop several times, by the way.)

Code:
    (process:218): GLiB-Warning ++getpwuid_r() failed due to unknown user error (0,0)
    The first few times I tried to booting up Ubuntu, I was able to reach the screen where I could select a language, and whether to try or install Ubuntu. I pressed Try, but after loading for a few minutes, nothing happened. Eventually, the cursor would freeze.

I managed to get into the advanced options (by pressing a random key when the CD was booting), and for the boot options I removed the "quiet splash --" or something like that off. I managed to test things out. I also heard some sound coming out my speakers, probably the start-up sound. Anyways, I was testing things out. Whenever I tried opening an application (i.e. Mozilla Firefox), there would be a "Starting ....." on the bottom, but it would soon disappear. The only time that didn't happen was when I loaded the System Manager. The screen froze several times.

I restarted the computer, and tried to install. No such luck. Even with the removal of "quiet screen --". I always get to the screen with "Welcome. You may want to read the release notes." There is a language selection, and on the bottom, quit, back, and forward.

All in all, things were very slow. I also had to reboot the computer many times by pressing the power button on the box.

Some help would be much appreciated.

--
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Dell Optiplex GX260
    X86
    Total Physical Memory 256 MB
    Available Physical Memory 12.05 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 625.10 MB

---
    EDIT: I also checked the disc for defects, using the advanced options.
    Last edited by chockopocko; March 10th, 2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Checked disk for defects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation: Can't get past welcome screen

Quote Originally Posted by chockopocko View Post
    --
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Dell Optiplex GX260
    X86
    Total Physical Memory 256 MB
    Available Physical Memory 12.05 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 625.10 MB
    chockopocko,

You system does not have enough RAM memory to run Ubuntu, even in 'try' mode.

You will need to look at smaller distros (Lbunut, PuppyLinux and so on). Or use a newer machine with at least 1 gig of RAM and enjoy Ubuntu in all its glory.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Installation: Can't get past welcome screen

Agree with Hedgehog.

The link to Lubuntu is www.lubuntu.net. Don't let the ugly web site scare you away; it is a great system.

The Glib-error message you see does not mean anything. The thorough explanation is here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1443231
    but the short story is: Just ignore it.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.