Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

If I'm not mistaken you could use FAT32 if you have Windows 95 B or C (OSR 2 and later) and thus use a memory as large as 32 GiB. Windows 95 will crap out if you have more than 512 MiB of RAM. Also the default memory management is poor. Use Cacheman 4.1 to fix that. Opera 10.1 is the latest modern web browser that will run on Win95.

If you want to supplement your guide with any of this I'll gladle supply you with all my files and knowledge (still running 95 on one rig here).
    Eternally confused.

Beans

Re: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

Quote Originally Posted by reverenddave View Post
    is it possible to create a bootable USB disk with the likes of Vista or even XP ????????

i need to run either one of these for some college software
    Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

No you cannot. This tutorial reuqires that you use a version of Windows based on MS-DOS. These include Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 95. 98, and ME. XP or later does not work. But there are tools that let you make bootable installs of XP, Vista, or 7. Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinBuilder

Beans

Re: Windows 95 on a USB drive [HOWTO]

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you could use FAT32 if you have Windows 95 B or C (OSR 2 and later) and thus use a memory as large as 32 GiB. Windows 95 will crap out if you have more than 512 MiB of RAM. Also the default memory management is poor. Use Cacheman 4.1 to fix that. Opera 10.1 is the latest modern web browser that will run on Win95.

If you want to supplement your guide with any of this I'll gladly supply you with all my files and knowledge (still running 95 on one rig here).
    Thanks for the info. Yes, Windows 95 supports FAT32, but the HP Format Tool won't let you format it as FAT32 (it says DOS won't support it, even though it does). And to fix the RAM problem, you can trick Windows into thinking it has ~700 MB of RAM. Read about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q253912/

And instead of Windows 95, you could use this same guide to install Windows 98, 98SE, or ME instead. With ME you could run Firefox 2.0.0.20, or with unofficial builds, 3.x.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12