Thread: SSH ssh-add: Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Beans

Question SSH ssh-add: Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

As the title says, whenever I try to use the ssh-add command I always get the same error. (exact console copies for your convenience)

ty@ubuntu:~$ sudo ssh-add
    [sudo] password for ty:
    Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
    ty@ubuntu:~$
    After looking pretty much everywhere on the internet, I found a lot of people had the same problem, but their solutions didn't work for me.
    ty@ubuntu:~$ exec ssh-agent bash
    ty@ubuntu:~$ sudo ssh-add
    Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
    Am I missing something basic?
    Last edited by seth1010; March 9th, 2011 at 04:50 AM.

Beans

Re: SSH ssh-add: Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Alright, I figured out my problem, but in order to keep from being one of *those* guys, I figured that I will let anyone that is having similar problems how to fix it.

What I should have noticed is that I needed to use sudo in order to ssh-add. This is a big red flag. What happened in my case was I had given root ownership of the .ssh folder. From what I can figure, I did this by opening gedit with sudo while trying to open a file in that directory. More info here.

What I did to solve the problem was delete the .ssh folder entirely and start again. There is probably a much more elegant way to do this, but being a linux newbie, this worked just fine.

Comments from more experienced members would be amazing, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personally, I would have just changed ownership and permission on the ~/.ssh driectory, you could have done it using the following commands:

Code:
    sudo chown -R user:user ~/.shh
    where user:user = your user name and group name, then set the directory permission to 700:

Code:
    chown 700 ~/.ssh
    then cd in to the directory and give the correct file permissions to the files inside:

Code:
    cd .ssh
    and

Code:
    chmod 600 *

Beans

cariboo, I think you meant
    Code:
    $ chmod 700 ~/.ssh