Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuner Card and NTSC/ATSC/DVB Confusion

Beans

Re: Tuner Card and NTSC/ATSC/DVB Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by rhpot1991 View Post
    If you mirror something similar to my setup it should work for you, hopefully all the links aren't too out of date: http://www.baablogic.net/drupal/node/13

I have Comcast cable, which won't be far off from your cable. The combination of a HDHR + HDPVR will pick up all of your channels. You use the HDHR for your locals, and it will give 2-5 tuners using multirec. Then you use the HDPVR to record all the non local channels, you can either use your existing cable box or get a dedicated one to use. While the HDPVR is using the cable box you will not be able to use it, so plan accordingly. You could add more than one HDPVR if needed, but I would try to hold out with one until the CableCard tuners are readily available and have a look at them then.
    wow, that is one awesome looking setup!

Thank you both for the input, you've all helped tremendously in furthering my understanding of what all these things mean and the distinctions between them. In it's eventuality, I would like to build a setup similar to what rhpot1991 and newlinux are showing, but right now money is too tight for that, unfortunately.

It sounds like a standard, and free mind you, digital to analog converter from my cable company will work with my current setup while I save the money to build a much more expansive and beautiful system like the ones you describe. Is my logic sound, and with the converter, it should work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by platticus View Post

Thank you both for the input, you've all helped tremendously in furthering my understanding of what all these things mean and the distinctions between them. In it's eventuality, I would like to build a setup similar to what rhpot1991 and newlinux are showing, but right now money is too tight for that, unfortunately.

It sounds like a standard, and free mind you, digital to analog converter from my cable company will work with my current setup while I save the money to build a much more expansive and beautiful system like the ones you describe. Is my logic sound, and with the converter, it should work?
    It will work fine. The only trick will be to get a serial or USB IR blaster that works on your machine, and configure LIRC so that mythtv will be able to change the channels on your digital to analog converter box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by platticus View Post

Best way to go about it is one step at a time. Add individual pieces as you have the time/money and you can expand into a nice setup without dropping so much cash all at once. I'd recommend looking at the HDHR when you have a chance, its very cheap cost per tuner and should cover all your local channel recordings all by itself.

P.S. note that its cheaper from amazon directly but is apparently on a 1-3 week backorder, so that link is currently displaying a more expensive 3rd party that has it in stock.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rhpot1991 View Post
    Best way to go about it is one step at a time. Add individual pieces as you have the time/money and you can expand into a nice setup without dropping so much cash all at once. I'd recommend looking at the HDHR when you have a chance, its very cheap cost per tuner and should cover all your local channel recordings all by itself.

P.S. note that its cheaper from amazon directly but is apparently on a 1-3 week backorder, so that link is currently displaying a more expensive 3rd party that has it in stock.
    yeah, I started off with one computer and one tuner. Then, through my used PC parts store nearby, ebay, some new parts here and there, castoffs from friends, I eventually built the behomoth that is in my "My Hardware" link in my sig. This is all probably over the course of about 5 years. Basically with Linux older hardware just seems to keep on ticking just fine for years if it doesn't fail.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Thank you all again for the replies, I now understand a great deal more and all my queries are answered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12