Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Ubuntu as dual boot but shared /home?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install Ubuntu as dual boot but shared /home?

Well I thank you for this information but to tell the truth this is all chinese to me.
    I now have the Ubuntu desktop up and running. The problem is however that in order to get it to load correctly I had to create "another user". When I boot up as the "other user" all goes fine, but when I boot in as "myself" I do not get the Ubuntu desktop (or only a part of it), only one panel at the top and no icons but I can add normal gnome icons.
    I saw that I was locked in as a "custom" user and I guess that this is the conflict that I was worried about right in the beginning. I gave the "other user" admin rights and then deleted myself as a user to see if I could solve this problem. I am now logged in as the "other user" and as "administrator" which is not ok, but when I change that to "custom user" I am back to the old problem again with the "custom" desktop which is half a desktop.
    I really just need to be able to change the "custom" desktop to normal and then I can change my status back from administrator to custom?
    But here I am stuck. Ido not know how to do this!

(Edit) I now noticed that any changes I do to the gnome panel in Ubuntu also appears on the gnome panel in Mint! This is really dumm.
    Last edited by germanix; March 8th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    cat /etc/fstab > fstab-original && gedit fstab-original
    if you execute that code, you'll produce a copy of your /etc/fstab file and open the text editor 'gedit' to look at it. You must close the text editor to finish the Terminal session.

post the results and we'll have a look.. if you wish..
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thank you for your offer to help me. This is much appreciated. I am however in the process of re-installing Ubuntu, and this time I decided not to have both OS´s use the same /home partition. It would have been nice but it seems to me it creates more problems than what it is worth. (for me at least). I will just use the Mint /home for all my files leaving the Ubuntu /home empty but I did make a small separate /home for Ubuntu to make future install somewhat easier.
    I thank you all for your help. You have all been very kind. I wish you all a nice day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12