75 66.37%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
    I don't mind Unity in general, except that now the top panel is cluttered and useless. The System and Places menus were there for a reason, and now I have to go through a whole other menu to get to them. The part I hate the most is that the menus for whatever program is in focus are now on the panel, as opposed to in the relevant window. That is stupid and dumb: Options and commands for a specific window should be in that window, not in a place where I run system wide commands like my panel. (It also looks too much like Mac and Windows, which is what I'm trying to avoid with Ubuntu.) Ubuntu is so uncluttered right now, and it seems so far that Unity is moving in the opposite direction, which is disappointing. This still applies in the "Classic Desktop" Option, which also sucks.

On an unrelated note, is there anyway to downgrade my system from 10.10 to 10.04 without a reinstall? 10.10 has had stability issues on my hardware, (and other people as well) whereas I have friends with the same hardware who had no problems with 10.04.
    APT has no facilities for downgrading, you will need to reinstall.
    and stop hatin' man jeez, the constant Unity-hating is really getting annoying.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu Vista More On Poll Results

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Where did the beans come from, because if you counted the number of beans each person that voted has, the results would be really different.
    *for each answer I counted (sum) the number of beans of each voter then computed their average - using google docs - here is the link for the spreadsheet
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...FR3AwUkE&hl=en
    anyway I think it shows experienced Ubuntu'rs vote for NO , and mostly newcomers are skeptic
    Last edited by cap10Ibraim; March 12th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Honestly, if you mean will 11.04 make people who try it say "screw this!" and buy a Mac, then yes, I fear it will be the new Vista.

I haven't had time to try 11.04 yet, but have used Unity on 10.10 netbook edition, and frankly it is terrible. Sure it may be an Alpha, but Alphas have no place in official releases. It may be a good UI one day, but not yet

Unless of course it has made giant strides, but none of the improvements are being passed down to 10.10. Somehow I don't think so.

Beans

I haven't had time to try 11.04 yet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Hey, some of us have a life outside of Ubuntu. I've tested every Alpha since 6.10, but my time is too valuable this year.

I stand by my experiences with Unity.

Beans

I sincerely hope you are not implying that I do not have a life outside Ubuntu.

The "time" in your statement was not my problem. I was just poking fun at those big assumptions you made about 11.04 when you never even tried it.

I am not attacking you.
    Last edited by NightwishFan; March 12th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Bob View Post
    Hey, some of us have a life outside of Ubuntu. I've tested every Alpha since 6.10, but my time is too valuable this year. .
    Download ISO image from local mirror: ~10minutes - 1 hour (depending on connection speed)

Time to setup in virtualbox: ~1 minute

Time to install: ~10 minutes

Assuming you download overnight and/or don't sit there staring at your computer as it downloads, do you really not have 30 minutes to test 11.04?
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    Download ISO image from local mirror: ~10minutes - 1 hour (depending on connection speed)

Time to setup in virtualbox: ~1 minute

Time to install: ~10 minutes

Assuming you download overnight and/or don't sit there staring at your computer as it downloads, do you really not have 30 minutes to test 11.04?
    Hmm. I regularly test the development release, and I definitely accept that to do it properly involves a bit more of a time commitment than you're suggesting.

Testing it properly involves using it for the full range of your day-to-day tasks. That means installing all your regular applications and getting it set up the way your desktop normally is. That could take minutes or it could take hours, depending on your setup. On top of that, many third party applications may not be supported and/or require extensive Googling/fiddling. For every issue you do find you're going to be reading forums, searching the internet, and scouring Launchpad, plus when the bugs do pop up you'll be spending time filling in bug reports, which may require further testing and investigation.

Downloading updates overnight is a good idea, but not everybody likes leaving a power-gobbling PC on overnight.

I'm very busy myself this year, and find myself much less able to contribute effectively to testing.

Beans

I personally only have alpha 3 in virtualbox. I have not done much testing either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am withholding judgment until the final release, it is not fair to pass judgment on an alpha release.

Unity desperately needs a way to edit/manage menus. I have a few games I like to play and I didn't like having a icon for each in the launcher. I had to create a text based menu. That was the easy part. The process to put that menu into the launcher was much harder that it should be.

I was glad to see that remote login via XDMCP is possible again in Natty after it was missing in Maverick.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast