Thread: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

For the past couple of days, after I attempted, KDE shell on my Ubuntu I keep getting a dialog like 'Enter password to unlock keyring'. Not sure if I set something but Ubuntu logon password is not accepted.

Is there a way to find out what causes this dialog to throw open and/or how to reset this KeyRing password?
    --
    Deepak Vasudevan
    Facebook

Beans
    Distro

RE: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt? Edit Post

KDE Key-ring started to crop only after KDE attempted.
    Last edited by deepaknet; March 8th, 2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Wrong message in context
    --
    Deepak Vasudevan
    Facebook

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

I have a similar annoyance using xubuntu 11.04: I keep getting asked to unlock the keyring. The message occurs twice after bootup, and recently I decided to ignore it to see what happens. Answer - nothing happens! I can get into all programs, wifi, etc - so why is the system asking for a keyring password?

The real annoyance is that it continues to ask for the keyring password (twice) at regular intervals all the time I am logged on.
    It's a poor day when you don't learn anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

I'm getting the password prompt 3 times, every time I log in. And unlike the posts above, if I attempt to ignore them, I can't do some things (like...anything) until I log in...THREE TIMES! I didn't have this problem before upgrading to 11.04. Also, since this may be related, is there a way to get rid of this RIDICULOUS launcher panel and go back to the nice, elegant desktop that 10.10 had without rolling back to 10.10? And why is this supposed to be better? Half the time it doesn't come out when I move my cursor to the edge of the screen. It's not a tool so much as an annoyance, in my opinion.

Not to rant, but it seems to me that the elegance of Ubuntu is ebbing and that a kitschy clutter is starting to obtain. Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by alienmindtrick View Post
    Also, since this may be related, is there a way to get rid of this RIDICULOUS launcher panel and go back to the nice, elegant desktop that 10.10 had without rolling back to 10.10?
    I agree the Unity screen is awful!

After much searching I found out how to ditch it and revert to the previous screen - it is supposed to be an option offered while upgrading to 11.04.

Go to Main Menu>>System>>Administration>>Login Screen You will need to enter your Password to Unlock the screen, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as the Default Session.

By the way I don't get the multiple password prompts on Ubuntu, just on Xubuntu?

Good luck.
    It's a poor day when you don't learn anything.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by frank4360 View Post
    I agree the Unity screen is awful!

After much searching I found out how to ditch it and revert to the previous screen - it is supposed to be an option offered while upgrading to 11.04.

Go to Main Menu>>System>>Administration>>Login Screen You will need to enter your Password to Unlock the screen, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as the Default Session.

By the way I don't get the multiple password prompts on Ubuntu, just on Xubuntu?

Good luck.
    Yeah, I found that too, and ditched the ridiculous Unity desktop. After spending a week in #ubuntu on Freenode, IRC, I've learned that it is NOT for beginners. It's for advanced users to condescend to those seeking help. Also, for the various problems I've encountered in the almost-1-year I've used Ubuntu, I've never gotten a valid answer there.
    So, I'm hoping someone here has a solution, still. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

Hi, you can disable key ring in natty if it is malfunctioning like you are seeing. I would not do it if it is working properly.
    http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/20...o-unlock-your-

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Who is triggering the key ring password prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, you can disable key ring in natty if it is malfunctioning like you are seeing. I would not do it if it is working properly.
    http://karuppuswamy.com/wordpress/20...o-unlock-your-
    Thank you! That is the most cogent answer I've gotten to this issue, and I appreciate your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi,
    I believe there is a place in Passwords & Encryption Keys that you can fix this problem. I can't recall where I came across this same question but it had to do with there being double entries asking for your key. There should only be one request for your Keyring, so all that's needed is for you to delete one of the doubles. Sorry I can't remember the exact details but it seems like an easy fix.
    Liz

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alienmindtrick View Post
    Thank you! That is the most cogent answer I've gotten to this issue, and I appreciate your help.
    Hi, your welcome.