Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Can't not play flash files!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation HELP!! Can't not play flash files!!

Hi, I just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my computer it's a Pentium 4, 2,26 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and 2 40 GB HDD... I ran update manager and installed all the updates. I installed all the Ubuntu restricted extras and I can play all the formats but .flv; there's sound but the all I can see are lines and static... I ran the tests and see if my video card was properly working and all seemed OK. Also every time I play a youtube video or from another site that uses flash the computer totally crashes!!... I installed Chromium and see if the problem had to do with Firefox but chromium also totally crashes.. after rebooting I tried playing another Internet video, but all I could get was a blank screen with sound...

Another issue I had was that right after the installation I could not set the screen resolution higher than 800x600, but i solved the problem (thanks to the forums ) editing the xorg.config file and the problem got solved... I don't know if the problem with the flash and the screen resolution are related =X

Could somebody help me??!! T_T
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Beans

Re: HELP!! Can't not play flash files!!

Hey Everyone,
    First Timer here, which reminds me, anyone like Elliott Smith? Anyway, I just want to add to this problem. Let me know if I'm not doing this correctly. I think that this month marks a year since I've been unable to play internet flash (youtube, etc) videos on my 2003 Presario laptop with Ubuntu 8.0.4 and Firefox 3.6.13. It's either March or May, but it's one of the M months. I spent WAY too time reading and trying to mess with figuring out what to do to see about getting it to work before I came by a short article that said that Adobe admitted that there is a problem with their latest flash player version 10.anything for Linux, and they don't know when they'll get it fixed. When they used 9 or earlier, it always worked okay. I read everything on the planet and tried many things to see if I could reinstall an older version again, but no luck. Simply put, it just doesn't work with 10. I also came by one link that said that it was an older flash player but it installed something called Elf which I can't get rid of and it's annoying the hell out of me. I know how to use the Synaptec Package Manager, but am not too techy other that that. I must admit that though I've tried, I don't have time to learn much because I'm trying to fix over 15 years of life's collisions that have piled up on me, which may take 15 more years, but so far it's working, now that I work part time. If anyone would like to help, I'd even trade what I do know, like fixing something on your house or your old car, or I could pay it forward, and hope that my appreciation is okay enough.
    Thanks much. rbarnes1972 at att dot net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Br1987 View Post
    Also every time I play a youtube video or from another site that uses flash the computer totally crashes!!... I installed Chromium and see if the problem had to do with Firefox but chromium also totally crashes.. after rebooting I tried playing another Internet video, but all I could get was a blank screen with sound...
    If you have an open source Ati driver, flash sites "crash" your system. Here is some info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1699550 e.g
    Had the freeze problem in U10.4.

Installed the proprietary driver in 'Hardware Drivers'.

Youtube Works now.
    So, I think you should try the propietary driver. Go System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

Beans
    Distro

Thx for the reply but I'm not using a ATI video card... I'm using a SiS (Silicone Integrated Systems) 300/305/630/540/730 32 Mb video card...
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Beans
    Distro

No proprietary drivers listed when checking on Hardware Drives
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Beans
    Distro

I reinstalled Ubuntu 10.04 run update manager, installed all the restricted extras, enabled medibuntu, etc, etc... but I can not play youtube videos nor flash files in the internet... I tried Minitube with no result, and tried also totem's youtube plugin but it can not play videos either...
    I have .flv files in my pc and can play them with no problem at all... the only problem seems to be with flash videos on the internet... I also installed Chromuim but same result...
    Can somebody shed soe=me light on this??? Is is true wha wishihadtime says??

I think that this month marks a year since I've been unable to play internet flash (youtube, etc) videos on my 2003 Presario laptop with Ubuntu 8.0.4 and Firefox 3.6.13. It's either March or May, but it's one of the M months. I spent WAY too time reading and trying to mess with figuring out what to do to see about getting it to work before I came by a short article that said that Adobe admitted that there is a problem with their latest flash player version 10.anything for Linux, and they don't know when they'll get it fixed. When they used 9 or earlier, it always worked okay.
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Beans

look in your package manager for flash
    uninstall what the system put in only
    not a complete removal just uninstall
    go to adobe site install flash player
    now reinstall
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans
    Distro

Tried already... same result... =(
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Beans

you by any chance have win ff installed
    it loads some codes that may help you

Beans
    Distro

I can convert videos with no problem at all!! but the problem remains the same =(
    Aunque no lo creas... ♪♫

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast