Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Main Ecrypted LVM not Accessible after Deleting a Different Encrypted LVM on USB HD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Main Ecrypted LVM not Accessible after Deleting a Different Encrypted LVM on USB HD

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 64 on my laptop with the entire 500gb setup as encrypted LVM. This has worked well for several months with no problems. During this time i have been backing up the data to an external usb drive (1tb) on a regular basis. The usb drive was not encrypted. So, I thought it would be a good idea to encrypt the backup drive too. I wiped out the backup drive and set it up as one large encrypted lvm and mbr. This seemed to work fine but immediately afterwards I decided to erase that and set it up as encrypted lvm guid instead of mbr. I couldn't delete it while logged into my desktop so i decided to do it from a bootable gparted usb stick. In gparted i erased the 1TB backup drive once again and planned on setting it up the way I wanted once I was logged back into my ubuntu desktop. Now I cant boot into my desktop with the following errors:

cryptsetup: evms_activate is not available
    b0d) does not begin with /dev/mapper/

Then after waiting for a few minutes I get an error followed by (initramfs)

When booting from a live version of ubuntu the 250MB boot patition is recognized and 500 partion is there but it is labeled as empty/unused.

Also, I did choose to use the exact same passphrase as what is used on the main bootable drive when I set up the encrypted partition on the external 1TB drive.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Main Ecrypted LVM not Accessible after Deleting a Different Encrypted LVM on USB

Boot a live CD and try to mount (open) the crypt and LVM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Main Ecrypted LVM not Accessible after Deleting a Different Encrypted LVM on USB

"When booting from a live version of ubuntu the 250MB boot patition is recognized and 500 partion is there but it is labeled as empty/unused."

Already tried that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jreece View Post
    "When booting from a live version of ubuntu the 250MB boot patition is recognized and 500 partion is there but it is labeled as empty/unused."

Already tried that.
    It does not sound as if you know how to mount a crypt or a LVM with a live CD then.

See :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4530641

You need to install a few packages, then open them with the command line.

Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdXY crypt
    Change "sdXY" to the partition to decrypt.

Then continue with the LVM commands

Code:
    sudo vgscan --mknodes
    sudo vgchange -ay
    Then mount the LVM

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mapper/your_lvm /mnt
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Awesome, I'll try that when I get a chance in an hour or two. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I tried that too and nothing happens and it doesn't prompt for password. I'm getting a little concerned because the disk utility shows the sda2 partition as free and unused, not encrypted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I tried that too and nothing happens and it doesn't prompt for password. I'm getting a little concerned because the disk utility shows the sda2 partition as free and unused, not encrypted.
    Output of :

Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 crypt
    ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just goes back to prompt. There is no output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just goes back to prompt. There is no output.
    That is odd. It should return something, can you copy-paste the output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 crypt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast