Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB won't load after failed Ubuntu upgrade

Beans

Re: GRUB won't load after failed Ubuntu upgrade

ok sorry, my bad. I can get in my BIOS, I used the wrong key (and since it doens't say on the screen which button to use, I thought that still had to come)

And I can indeed get to my original Ubuntu installation. It's no problem though (now I have back-ups of my most important files) to reinstall Ubuntu. If I install Ubuntu 10.10, will it then automatically reinstall GRUB (and thus GRUB 2) or will I still have to that?

Beans

when i use update manger to update the security bakege he say no net i use ubunto10.10 and i have net so what's the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Quazze View Post
    And I can indeed get to my original Ubuntu installation. It's no problem though (now I have back-ups of my most important files) to reinstall Ubuntu. If I install Ubuntu 10.10, will it then automatically reinstall GRUB (and thus GRUB 2) or will I still have to that?
    If you still have pieces of Grub legacy and do an upgrade it may still ask if you want to keep the old Grub. My advice would be to just make a backup copy of /boot/grub/menu.lst and let it overwrite Grub with Grub2. If it doesn't ask, it probably means that it didn't find any old Grub legacy files and will just install the latest version of Grub (probably 1.98 in your case).
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by eghonam View Post
    when i use update manger to update the security bakege he say no net i use ubunto10.10 and i have net so what's the problem
    Post terminal errors output:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    MSI K9N NEO-F V3 / MS-7369 Motherboard RAM 4GB
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Internet 3G MF668
    GRUB2:BOOTSCRIPT:TESTDISK:NOMODESET

Beans

ok, thank you both very much. Everything seems to be ok now (although it gave some errors when shutting down from liveUSB after installing Ubuntu and when booting, but it works fine)

much appreciated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12