Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sort of replacement for the gnome panel system monitor in gnome unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

sort of replacement for the gnome panel system monitor in gnome unity?

I liked having my computer status in the upper gnome panel (system monitor with CPU and network + temperatures) to see what's going on with my hardware, is there some kind of replacement for this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: sort of replacement for the gnome panel system monitor in gnome unity?

Unless someone comes up with an indicator applet, there is no way to to add anything to the panel at this time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I guess as long as the indicator API only allows you to draw text and icons (don't know if that's still the case), a system monitor clone is not going to happen.

One thing I tried some months ago was to create and replace a new icon on every update. It worked, but had some major downsides: a lot of I/O from creating the new icons, laggy under CPU or I/O load, and it's generally a pretty bad way to implement it.

That said, yeah, I do hope we get a replacement for the system and the sensor applets.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Distro

I'm missing the system monitor too.
    Could it be implemented as a special icon in Unity (like in Docky) or the entries in Unity are just plain icons?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Appindicators can be active icons, just use brasero to burn a cd to see an example. As an alternative for now the only choices seem to be conky or desklets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I hope there'll be an indicator for this too; I miss the system monitor in the panel.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: sort of replacement for the gnome panel system monitor in gnome unity?

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Unless someone comes up with an indicator applet, there is no way to to add anything to the panel at this time.
    From my standpoint, that's a "loss of function" or "regression" in Natty Unity vs. Maverick. I had a row of applets at the top of Gnome of things I usually use.

Now I might just be willing to take that as far as launching applications goes. In this Unity 2D the launchers are easy to reach if a bit slower because of the hiding and exposing launcher dock on the left.

And I can get system and preferences by selecting the top corner and starting to type the name in the search box. A bit slower than gnome but it does work.

However I do use the "system monitor" applet on a couple of my installations which isn't available in Unity 2D or 3D that I can find.

For all this grumping, on my two pc's that won't use Unity 3D I do find myself using Natty Unity 2D vs. gnome desktop....

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I suspect Ubuntu may revisit this at sometime in the future as they put a lot of work into it.
    In the meantime Conky is fun and really enhances your desktop.
    Maybe not the best thing to do during an alpha phase ..but a few weeks down the line maybe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Conky is no replacement for me. I want that information in the panel, where I can see it all the time.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans

The only applet missed here is the weather applet, there is a replacement for it (indicator-weather) which is ok but not quite as good - no radar, otherwise atm about the same

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast