Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntuzilla ceasing^Wcontinuing operation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ubuntuzilla ceasing^Wcontinuing operation

Greetings loyal users, and newcomers alike.

We've had a great few years with ubuntuzilla - for a while there was no better way to get timely updates for stable releases of mozilla products than the ubuntuzilla repository.

It seems that those days are over - now the official ubuntu repositories move swiftly to include updates for firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey - often the very next day after their release from mozilla.

Thus, it seems that there is no longer a need in the ubuntu community for a third party repository to host these official builds.

As a result, I have pushed out what will probably be the last update to the ubuntuzilla repository, Firefox 3.6.15, Thunderbird 3.1.9, and Seamonkey 2.0.12.

Unless someone steps up and wants to continue updating the ubuntuzilla repository (there's a handy script that'll /almost/ do everything for you automagically), this will mark the conclusion of the project.

I thank you all for your help and support.

-nanotube

UPDATE: since lucid has not been following along with the latest mozilla releases, I am continuing to update ubuntuzilla with the latest. looks like ubuntu just won't let ubuntuzilla die.
    Last edited by nanotube; July 11th, 2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: not ceasing ops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Ubuntuzilla ceasing operation

A word of thanks to you for making it easy for noobs like me to stay up to date with the latest firefox, seamonkey and thunderbird. I will miss this project.
    Once again, a heartfelt thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you and this project will be missed !!!
    (still haven't got 3.X.15 from the repo's of ubuntu ;-(

and will have a breakdown when ff 4 comes out and i want to stay with my LTS

but you have helped out several of us that would rather use ubuntu but don't know linux at all !

it was a very usefull program and i do appreciat the effort you put into it !

thanks very much for the effort you have put into this project for so long !!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Ubuntuzilla ceasing operation

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    It seems that those days are over - now the official ubuntu repositories move swiftly to include updates for firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey - often the very next day after their release from mozilla.
    -nanotube
    Nanotube! Thank You very much for all your great help. I found it very convienient to use Ubuntuzilla repo to update FF & Thunderbird.

Would You be so kind to advise: which repo should I add to receive benefits of "repositories [that] move swiftly to include updates for firefox"? I've tried ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable but it doesn't seem to make any difference to my Ubuntu 10.04. On the other hand ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa seems to me to offer unstable future releases. Would You mind proposing any substitute for ubuntuzilla?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello, dashaus.

If you read nanotube's words carefully,
    now the official ubuntu repositories move swiftly to include updates for firefox, thunderbird, and seamonkey
    (bold emphasis by me), you will see that the answer is pretty simple: in future, please, use the official Ubuntu repositories in order to get the current versions of Firefox, Thunderbird and Seamonkey. No PPA repository needed any longer.

For the moment, you can still get FF3.6.15, TB3.1.9 and Seamonkey 2.0.12 using the Ubuntuzilla repository located at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    Last edited by Karlchen; March 6th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Karlchen,

would you mind being more specific? What should I do to get next FF/TB update from the official ubuntu repositories (i.e 3.6.16 and so on)? Right now I can find in Synaptic Firefox 3.6.8. So far I thought it's outdated due to Canonical's policy of ceasing to update FF after releasing next Ubuntu.
    But now I feel as being the only one receiving stable updates only from ubuntuzilla.
    Please, tell me, how will you update FF to 3.6.16 when the time comes?

regards, dashaus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In my Synaptic, Firefox is at 3.6.14 and Thunderbird is at 3.1.8. Just a little bit behind still, but I guess it's close enough to current to be usable.
    “Humanity must rise above the earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond. For only then will we understand the world in which we live.”
    -Socrates-
    http://www.overviewinstitute.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Abumaia, what is the repository that contains FF 3.6.14? Have you done anything special to get it or it simply turned up by itself? In may case it didn't and I wonder why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

nanotube, it's been many years, and the whole time I have very much appreciated all the work you've put into this program. Kudos!

Beans
    Distro

Hello, dashaus.

Provided you are really using Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Synaptic should currently offer to install Firefox 3.6.14. (Column "Latest Version") - Yep, they have not added v3.6.15, yet.

Where do you see v3.6.8? In the column "Installed version" or in the column "Latest version"? (Sorry, if my translation of the column names is not 100% correct, I am looking at a German Lucid Lynx version right now.)
    In case the answer is "Installed version", then this simply means that you have stopped using the Canonical Firefox version at v3.6.8.
    In case the answer is "Latest version", then this might suggest that you have not configured Synaptic to update the list of available packages automatically.

In order to make sure that Synaptic will always display the current state of the available software packages proceed like this, please (this will only update this list, nothing will be installed without your consent):

• System => System Administration => Software Package Sources
    • Tab "Ubuntu Software": Tick everything except source codes
    • Tab "Updates": Section "Ubuntu Updates"
      Tick "lucid-security" and "lucid-updates"
    • Tab "Updates": Section "Automatic Updates"
      Tick "Check for updates: [daily]" => will make Synaptic update the list once per day
      Tick "Only notify about available updates" (=> you will have to confirm when and which updates to install)

In order to tell Synaptic to update the list on demand (now), proceed like this, please: Launch Synaptic and press <Ctrl>R (reload package information).

In order to switch from the Ubuntuzilla provided Firefox to the one provided by the Canonical repositories, proceed like this, please:

• Backup the current Firefox user profile(s). - Just in case anything goes wrong.
    • You may uninstall Firefox-Mozilla-Build now (provided by Ubuntuzilla) with the help of Synaptic e.g. But you do not have to unless you are worried about recovering the disk space which the Firefoy binaries occupy.
      You may uninstall using Snaptic or using the commandline provided by Ubuntuzilla here.
    • With the help of Synaptic select and install the following Firefox packages:
      + Firefox
      + Firefox Gnome Support (might be irrelevant to KDE users)
      + Firefox Branding
      (Once you select "Firefox" Synaptic should make sure all required packages get pre-selected as well.)
    • Apply the selection thus installing Firefox 3.6.14, Build for Ubuntu.

HTH,
    Karl

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast