Thread: Decent, working upgrade for a pair of crossfire Sapphire Radeon HD2600 Pro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Decent, working upgrade for a pair of crossfire Sapphire Radeon HD2600 Pro?

As the title says - I just can't figure out what to buy, it's been a long time since I looked at computer hardware.

I'd love it if you lovely people could suggest a few things, from a middle price range to a top one..

I currently have a pair of Sapphire Radeon HD2600 Pro on crossfire, which was okay in 2007 when I built the machine but they throw up errors often these days and can't run as well as I wish.

I plan on using them for my 64bit Ubuntu system as well as on my 32bit Windows XP partition for gaming (Wow, Bioshock, et al).

Many thanks in advance!

(PS: My motherboard can take a single Nvidia card, but not SLI, only ATI Crossfire is supported for pairs of cards.)
    When you only have two choices, take the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by em es
    You know, I actually feel claustrophobic when I boot into XP.
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Decent, working upgrade for a pair of crossfire Sapphire Radeon HD2600 Pro?

Bump. Anyone? I don't even know where to start looking!
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans

What kind of Motherboard is in your machine?

Really Crossfire and SLI aren't supported enough yet (IMO) to make it worth the money. I would buy just a really powerful single card and roll with that. WoW and Bioshock aren't that graphically intense of games...
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

It is an ASUS M2R32-MVP ?

I just don't know what to get at all. Not a clue if something will be an upgrade or just a shuffle to the side.

Beans

If you feel uncertain about purchase of a new graphics card, I suggest you take some reading here. Then you know better of how it looks like today.

It's been like nVidia graphic cards works better with any Linux distribution than ATi/AMD, however, as time have gone by, there have been major progress regarding the open source video drivers, especially from AMD which bought ATi some time ago.

So take yourself some reading and then think for a while if it would be worth an upgrade. Sometimes more than the graphics card is needed to make it worthwhile and I think it all depends on how you use the system and what plans you got for it for the coming future.
    Last edited by khelben1979; March 25th, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Writing error, fixed!
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.