Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thermal information and fan control

Beans

Re: Thermal information and fan control

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Leman View Post
    To cascade9

Well with a room temp at ~18c in the morning and all cores idling at 800mhz then why can't it be 20c?

Yes when i use it the temp goes up a bit but i have a large Zalman cooler on it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

To Call_M

The BIOS can't read the cpu core temp that's why you need the k10temp module loaded and you may have to add 7 to 10c to the reading it depends on your cpu type AMD have said this.

The temp in the BIOS is from the socket under the cpu the temp doesn't change as much as the core temp from what i've seen, Like if you use cpu with a good/heavy load on it and then let it go back to idle the cores will/should cool down more then the socket or at least faster, that's why the reading in the BIOS is higher.

And if/when you get drivers for your M/B you will see the difference good luck.
    Do have a source where I can find how much I must add for my CPU?

Since I set my CPU fan to automatic in the BIOS my k10temp reads tend to variate more and also the read is higher. After playing Nexuiz for a while it went up to 30 degrees (+10 is 40). I must say it didn't cool down very fast. Maybe I have to set my minimum fan speed a bit higher.

But what I do not get is: I have 3 cores and only one core temperature...

Beans

To cascade9

Well with a room temp at ~18c in the morning and all cores idling at 800mhz then why can't it be 20c?

Yes when i use it the temp goes up a bit but i have a large Zalman cooler on it.
    2C delta at idle? Possible, but highly unlikely.

The BIOS can't read the cpu core temp that's why you need the k10temp module loaded and you may have to add 7 to 10c to the reading it depends on your cpu type AMD have said this.

The temp in the BIOS is from the socket under the cpu the temp doesn't change as much as the core temp from what i've seen, Like if you use cpu with a good/heavy load on it and then let it go back to idle the cores will/should cool down more then the socket or at least faster, that's why the reading in the BIOS is higher.
    BIOS cant read the core temp? BIOS temp is from a socket thermistor? Outdated information AFAIK. It was true, ohh, 6years ago.

I cant speak for ALL the current setups, maybe some do still have socket thermistors.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_M View Post
    But what I do not get is: I have 3 cores and only one core temperature...
    Thats probably not 'core' temp, its 'TCase' temp.

30-40 its not even close to where you should be concerned.....if you hit 60C, then worry.
    Last edited by cascade9; March 9th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Thats probably not 'core' temp, its 'TCase' temp.

30-40 its not even close to where you should be concerned.....if you hit 60C, then worry.
    So there is one sensor that measures something.. But what that's not clear.

I now already had a few times that I played Nexus or OpenArena (Yes gaming on Linux is great and highly addictive). After a while the game ends in a freeze. I restart, and after 10-20 minutes an other freeze. Restart and again a freeze. Then I go to my BIOS and put al my fans and CPU fan on FULL ON and the freezes are gone.

Not anywhere in Ubuntu I can see if the freezes where caused by maybe to much heat.. I know there could be tonnes of reasons why the OS could freeze, maybe my hardware is broken or whatever.

I hoped my hardware could replace my macbook. No I first have to install that darned Windows to check if random freezes also occur. And to get a proper read of the hardware performance.

Beans

With cool'n'quiet, and 3 case fans you shouldnt be overheating.

Drivers maybe. Tried getting the newest ATI/AMD GPU drivers? They are much improved from all I've heard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post

Drivers maybe. Tried getting the newest ATI/AMD GPU drivers? They are much improved from all I've heard.
    Yeah I also do not think I'm overheating.

I have the latest ati drivers installed.

I tried to get a temperature read from the GPU but it does not seem to work. (I already posted this in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1669087 )

I'm working on it at the moment. But the temperatuur command gives me:

HTML Code:
    No layout section was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
    Please run 'aticonfig --initial' first or modify your configurationfile manually and run aticonfig again.
    aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.
    Do you have suggestions?

Beans

Which 'latest drivers'?. The ones ubuntu gives you from jockey-gtk?

Beans

The proprietary driver. Fglrx is installed together with ATI Catalyst Control Centre.

But I now have a temperature read for my GPU.

I had to run:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Did a restart and now

Code:
    aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature
    Gives:

Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Sensor 0: Temperature - 33.50 C
    And the fan command:
    Code:
    aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
    Fan speed query:
    Query Index: 0, Speed in percent
    Result: Fan Speed: 35%
    So that seems to work now. Now I would like to see these reads also in lm-sensors.

Beans

Meanwhile I also figured out that getting a temperature read from my hard-disk I needed to enable S.M.A.R.T in my BIOS.

With the command

Code:
    sudo hddtemp /dev/[name of hdd]
    It gave me a read for my Samsung spinpoint drive but for my intel postville x25-m it says:

WARNING: Drive /dev/sdf doesn't seem to have a temperature sensor.
    WARNING: This doesn't mean it hasn't got one.
    WARNING: If you are sure it has one, please contact me (hddtemp@guzu.net).
    WARNING: See --help, --debug and --drivebase options.
    /dev/sdf: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC: no sensor
    I do not know where I can find if the drive has a sensor.

BTW temp reads do not show up in the sensor-applet and in lm-sensors

Beans

Assuming you have hddtemp installed, you may just need to configure the sensors-applet to display the temp of the Spinpoint. Not sure if SSD;s have temp sensors. As for the GPU temp, I don't think the aticonfig output is compatible with the standard sensors, but don't quote me on that. BTW, open-source GPU drivers temp sensing is working nicely in Natty on my RadeonHD4550. Relevant part of sensors:
    Code:
    radeon-pci-0100
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:       +48.5°C

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Assuming you have hddtemp installed, you may just need to configure the sensors-applet to display the temp of the Spinpoint. Not sure if SSD;s have temp sensors. As for the GPU temp, I don't think the aticonfig output is compatible with the standard sensors, but don't quote me on that. BTW, open-source GPU drivers temp sensing is working nicely in Natty on my RadeonHD4550. Relevant part of sensors:
    Code:
    radeon-pci-0100
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:       +48.5°C
    Thanks for your replay.
    Yeah I have hddtemp installed. I already tried to restart, reinstall and killall sensors-applet, but hddtemp does not seem to appear in the sensor list. Or is there an other way to configure the sensors-applet?

In this forum someone states that I need to compile the sensors-applet from source to enable the GPU read. But I do not know how this works.
    Last edited by Call_M; March 9th, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast