Thread: when i boot, black screen

Beans

when i boot, black screen

hello! im new to linux, and sort of to windows. ive been using mac. earlier, i had downloaded ubantu then used daemon tools to emulate it and it worked perfect and i was able to run everything. then, everything froze so i restarted it. when i rebooted it, it would start correctly, then turn all black with a flashing cursor. so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, and i get to the end of the installation then it does the same thing again. someone, please help!

Beans

Re: when i boot, black screen

by the way, it is a toshiba running windows xp. and i can boot into windows perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: when i boot, black screen

Quote Originally Posted by meowski View Post
    hello! im new to linux, and sort of to windows. ive been using mac. earlier, i had downloaded ubantu then used daemon tools to emulate it and it worked perfect and i was able to run everything. then, everything froze so i restarted it. when i rebooted it, it would start correctly, then turn all black with a flashing cursor. so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, and i get to the end of the installation then it does the same thing again. someone, please help!
    meowski,

Your install is OK - you are getting caught when the video driver is loading.

Please read and follow the 'blank screen problems' thread below.

You will be changing the 'nomodeset' boot parameter.

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...n-problem.html

You might need to to enter other boot parameters There are 6 of them. You may have to do them one-by-one until you get video.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...Page%20Options (Common Kernel Options Section)

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village