Thread: Run VM inside CLI based Linux (remotely)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Run VM inside CLI based Linux (remotely)

Hi

I have a command line only Debian-based Linux server with which I would like to create a VM where anyone can remotely connect and have a play around. The guest OS that I have my eye on at the moment is either Gentoo (for it's customizability), or Arch (gentoo takes an age to install and I've never done it before).

Basically I'd have the VM running behind a NAT firewall provided by the VM software, and have specific ports forwarded to it. For example, with VNC's port 5900:

My friend contacts my IP at port 59001 with their VNC client software;

My modem gets a request for port 59001 and forwards it to my server;

The VM software running on my server is listening for this port, and is configured to forward again, this time to 5900 on the guest OS;

The guest OS has a VNC server running, listening at 5900, which responds to the request.

Some problems that I would need to resolve are:

1) What virtualization software to use on the server
    2) Make sure it can run inside a NAT network and supports port forwarding from the host
    3) An X server running VNC

For 1) I'm looking at QEMU. It seems to support everything I need it to. 2) is covered by 1) (supposedly).

About 3), well I was thinking of running tightVNC for this.

Thanks very much for any help/suggestions
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

Re: Run VM inside CLI based Linux (remotely)

I had a pleasant experience with VMware Server 2.0.

Do not allow VNC over the internet. It is insecure. Either use VPN or X11 forwarding with SSH.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samosamo View Post

Do not allow VNC over the internet. It is insecure. Either use VPN or X11 forwarding with SSH.

Ditto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by samosamo View Post

So is there a CLI-only version of VMware server?

I fail to see how VNC would be insecure in this scenario:

Random hacker contacts my IP, port 59001
    Router responds, forwards to my server
    QEMU running on my server hears the request, forwards it to the VM
    VM handles request

BTW, I don't mind if things break on the VM

Also, as an update, I have an Arch VM running using KVM/QEMU, under it's default (basic) NAT, with port 22 forwarded to the VM for SSH (the server has an SSH daemon but it runs on a non-standard port so I can forward 22 to the VM and still SSH the server).

I haven't setup any sort of port forwarding for the VM on the modem, so at the moment all you can do from outside my home network is connect via SSH to the server (on its non-standard port).

However, as you mentioned this enables you to do basically anything by using an SSH tunnel, and of course from a CLI prompt on the server you can access anything on the home network :O

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, depending on your setup and the guest os you are running, a hacker could potentially use your guest os on the virtualmachine to hack your network from a machine behind (virtually behind, but physically on the firewall hardware) your firewall, cuircumventing the need for port forwarding etc.

The rule is not to give an attacker a way in anywhere, as the more open windows there are, the more options he/she has for a greater exploit.

As for CLI vm software, try VMware, or Virtualbox and here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Demented ZA View Post
    Well, depending on your setup and the guest os you are running, a hacker could potentially use your guest os on the virtualmachine to hack your network from a machine behind (virtually behind, but physically on the firewall hardware) your firewall, cuircumventing the need for port forwarding etc.

The rule is not to give an attacker a way in anywhere, as the more open windows there are, the more options he/she has for a greater exploit.

As for CLI vm software, try VMware, or Virtualbox and here.
    If a hacker could do that, wouldn't that represent a different security vulnerability on the network? Ideally, I'd like my network configured so that no one can hack it simply by having access to a machine connected to it (and I don't think anyone can at the moment ). All my routers have strong passwords for example....(or were you thinking of something totally different?).

I know the rule is not to let anyone in anywhere unnecessary, but I tend to think of it as 'make a compromise between features and security'...

Thanks for the links