Thread: Planning a Media Server, Need Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Planning a Media Server, Need Software

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to land a job working on a cruise ship soon. This job will have me away from land and high speed internet for about 8 months straight. Because of this, I have decided I would like to build a Media Server, that will store hundreds of movies and TV shows and thousands of songs.

The idea would be a Linux system with 8TB of hard drive space, HDMI out, and an internal router and wireless router to stream to my MacBook and other devices (say I make some friends on the ship with their own laptops). I'd like to share the movies and music over a wired and wireless network for up to maybe 8 devices. I'd connect the Server to an HDTV to watch movies right from the box.

I am looking for some free open-sourced software that could run this server in Ubuntu. I want it to be able to rip CD's and DVD's, Load DVD covers and Album Art, and a way to tag each movie with things like actors, director, genre, theme, nudity, etc.

Then when connected to the TV, I want to be able to use an iTunes like interface to select movies and on the clients with a web browser, be able to search and select movies and songs to stream.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Planning a Media Server, Need Software

you mean something like http://www.mythbuntu.org/?

it would probably be mythTV and normal ubuntu server for what you need.

and why not post this question in another part of forums (e.g. multimedia)
    Last edited by mastablasta; May 23rd, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That sounds good except for this:

I have no interest in recording TV but I wish to use Myth as a music/video jukebox. Is this possible?

No. Myth has two plugins called MythMusic and MythVideo which can be used to handle audio and video libraries, respectively. However, mythfrontend requires a running mythbackend to connect to, and mythbackend requires at least one properly configured capture card.
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Beans

If you download a full mythbuntu install (which you can get at mythbuntu.org), you can install the backend and frontend on the same machine. If you're not going to use it as a dvr, or when you go out to sea, you can set up a "dummy" tuner. Details on setting up a "dummy" tuner are available here.