Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Beans

Re: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by link141 View Post
    I believe this is a problem with the open source radeon driver. I'm using this driver on Arch Linux and am getting strange behavior coming out of sleep. However, on Kubuntu, I'm using the proprietary driver and sleep is working perfectly.
    This is the ATI driver that Ubuntu supplies via the proprietary driver download, not the open source driver.

Thanks for the xinput commands.
    I stumbled across loads of old xconf.org entries that lead to a non starting X server. This works.

If you are sure you have efi set up correctly, you should be able to just remove the pc version. I had my thinkpad set to use the non-efi bootloader, and the ubuntu installer incorrectly set it to use efi. So in my case, I removed the grub-efi and grub-efi-amd64 packages and installed grub-pc. Now it uses the standard grub.
    Never played with an EFI bios before, so I am a bit reluctant to play in this area...

cheers
    afx
    Signature for rent

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afxmac
    Have not found a way yet to reliably see the grub menu. sometimes I can get it to show sometimes not. I wonder why my box has both grub-pc and grub-efi installed (my BIOS is set to EFI):
    ii grub-common 1.99~rc1-13ubuntu3
    ii grub-efi 1.99~rc1-13ubuntu3
    ii grub-efi-amd64 1.99~rc1-13ubuntu3
    rc grub-pc 1.99~rc1-13ubuntu3
    What utility or command produced that output? The "ii" and "rc" strings that precede each entry are probably critical. My hunch is that "ii" means it's installed and "rc" means that it's not, but without knowing what program produced that output, I can't check the documentation to be sure of that.

My experience with Ubuntu 11.04 on an Intel motherboard with UEFI boot support is that GRUB 2 is unreliable. I've had much better luck with ELILO. There's a version in the Ubuntu repositories, but I installed the latest 3.14 version from source downloaded from the Sourceforge download page. If you install the package from the repositories, it includes a setup command that you can use like this:

Code:
    elilo -b /dev/sda1 --autoconf --efiboot --root /dev/sda2 -v
    Change /dev/sda1 to your EFI System Partition, if necessary (it probably is /dev/sda1), and /dev/sda2 to your Ubuntu root partition. The --efiboot option requires that you also install the efibootmgr package. This option sets up an EFI entry for ELILO. IIRC, you've got to unmount the EFI System Partition (normally mounted at /boot/efi) before you run this command.

Once this is done, you should re-mount the EFI System Partition ("sudo mount -a" should do this; verify it by typing "df" and looking for an entry for /boot/efi) and check (and perhaps modify) the ELILO configuration file, which will probably be /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/elilo.conf. Here's my elilo.conf file, as an example:

Code:
    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=linux

image=vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
            label=linux
            initrd=initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
            read-only
            root=/dev/sda2
            append="reboot=a,w"
    This example boots just one kernel. Your file could be identical to this one, except you should modify your root= line to point to your Linux root filesystem. The "reboot=a,w" option works around a bug that causes the kernel to panic when rebooting the computer. You might or might not have the same bug, and you might not care about such a panic, so you might not need this.

If you decide to try this out, it's possible to do this with minimal risk because it's possible to install two EFI boot loaders side-by-side. In other words, your GRUB setup will continue to work if you try ELILO. (I don't know, however, if the Ubuntu packages for each conflict. If they do, you'd need to install outside of the Ubuntu package system.)

One caveat: ELILO loads Linux kernels, and AFAIK nothing else. Thus, if you're dual-booting with Windows, you'll need to use something else to launch Windows. If your EFI's options are convenient enough, its built-in boot loader should work. If not, you might give rEFIt a try. Installing it requires copying the /usr/lib/refit/refit directory tree to the EFI System partition's EFI subdirectory, and perhaps copying /usr/lib/refit/x64/refit.efi over /boot/efi/EFI/refit/refit.efi. You should then be able to launch it from your EFI, and if desired make it the default boot selector. When launched, rEFIt scans for other EFI boot loaders and shows them to you in a menu, so you'd be able to pick between Windows, ELILO, and GRUB (if you leave it installed). On my UEFI systems, rEFIt has some video glitches but works OK. Telling it to use text mode rather than its default GUI mode eliminates the video glitches.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

I've been using xubuntu for a bit and it seems to be quite a bit more solid than kubuntu 11.04. One nagging annoyance, however, is that the function keys don't work correctly. It seems xubuntu doesn't have the drivers for the x120e keyboard.

Has anyone figured out how to get it to work properly? Is it a matter of installing lenovo-acpi? If so, where would I find a compiled version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jankyHellface View Post
    I've been using xubuntu for a bit and it seems to be quite a bit more solid than kubuntu 11.04. One nagging annoyance, however, is that the function keys don't work correctly. It seems xubuntu doesn't have the drivers for the x120e keyboard.
    It is not drivers but mapping. Use Settings->Keyboard->shortcuts to set up the missing keys.

cheers
    afx
    Signature for rent

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    What utility or command produced that output? The "ii" and "rc" strings that precede each entry are probably critical. My hunch is that "ii" means it's installed and "rc" means that it's not, but without knowing what program produced that output, I can't check the documentation to be sure of that.
    Doooooh.

Having an RPM past, I keep forgetting that on debian systems cfg files still can hang around and be marked in the package listing (dpkg -l output), package is marked as removed but config files still present)

cheers
    afx
    Signature for rent

Beans

Sorry if I missed it earlier (this thread *is* 30 pages, though )

Is there anyone here who has had success configuring ubuntu on the substantially similar Lenovo Ideapad S205?

Given the size of this thread, it seems like the safe move would just be to go for the x120e. Lenovo has some nice deals on the fusion-equipped Ideapad S right now, though...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afxmac View Post
    It is not drivers but mapping. Use Settings->Keyboard->shortcuts to set up the missing keys.
    Tried this out, but I get nothing with volume buttons using 'amixer set Master 10+ unmute". When I use the command in the terminal I receive the error "amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master', 0" I then checked the sound prefs and the master channel is active in my setup. Not sure what's up here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jankyHellface View Post
    Tried this out, but I get nothing with volume buttons using 'amixer set Master 10+ unmute". When I use the command in the terminal I receive the error "amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master', 0" I then checked the sound prefs and the master channel is active in my setup. Not sure what's up here.
    This laptop has what alsa sees as two sound cards. The first one (card 0), is for the HDMI digital output and doesn't have a volume control (other than mute). The second card (card 1) is the actual sound chip that controls the laptop speakers, headphone/mic jack, and internal microphone.

Try this for card 1:
    Code:
    amixer -c 1 set Master 10+ unmute

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by link141 View Post
    Try this for card 1:
    Code:
    amixer -c 1 set Master 10+ unmute
    That worked perfectly... thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!