Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhobox View Post
    Do you guys have the broadcom card or WAN?
    I went with the 802.11 B/G/N pci_e card (realtek) -- I think most people that bought this laptop probably did. I didn't get mobile broadband or bluetooth with my machine.

Sleep mode is now working for me. I unloaded the wireless module and tried sleep mode again three times, and it woke up correctly (and very quickly) all three times. When I loaded the module back into the kernel, sleep mode still worked correctly. I think the suspend problems I was having may have only occured when the wireless was connected to a network, but I still have to test this...

Now I just have to stop playing with this thing and put myself into sleep mode .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Trackpoint Configuration

Here is a great link with instructions for configuring the trackpoint at think wiki.

Enable Vertical scrolling:
    Type the following into the terminal (from thinkwiki):
    Code:
    xinput set-int-prop 12 "Evdev Wheel Emulation" 8 1
    xinput set-int-prop 12 "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 8 2
    xinput set-int-prop 12 "Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout" 8 200
    Ubuntu uses the .xsessionrc in your home directory to "remember" these settings after a reboot.

Set sensitivity and speed of trackpoint on any recent linux os:
    NOTE: The path to the files that set these parameters is different on the x120e than it is on older thinkpads (I think it is serio4/serio5 -- I'll have to double check the paths when I get home). Also, you first have to make the files writable by other users.
    Code:
    sudo chmod o+w /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5/speed
    sudo chmod o+w /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5/sensitivity
    echo -n 120 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5/speed 
    echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5/sensitivity
    120 and 250 can be any numbers you like from 0 to 255 (inclusive).

For more info, check out the link to thinkwiki.

Beans

On my first install, I was always having pm-utils unload the modules.

Doesn't look like I'm doing it this time.

EDIT:This works
    create file 12_remove_wifi
    in directory /etc/pm/sleep.d
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    case $1 in
        hibernate)
            rmmod r8192ce_pci
            ;;
        suspend)
        rmmod r8192ce_pci
        ;;
        thaw)
            modprobe r8192ce_pci
            ;;
        resume)
        modprobe ath_pci
            modprobe r8192ce_pci
        ;;
        *)  echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
            ;;
    esac
    The other soolution froze my system.

Hmmm, mybe I'll take another look at hibernate.

EDIT: The information below is useful but doesn't work.
    SUSPEND_MODULES must also be set eleswhere
    For those who want to have the modules unload see here -->https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._Configuration

and add the module name 'r8192ce_pci' to 'SUSPEND_MODULES'

I should probably do this also since it cuts down on wireless problems.

/etc/pm/config.d/module file with ontents:
    Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="r8192ce_pci"
    i

someone please speak up if ubuntu defines this somewhere else
    Last edited by linuxhobox; March 14th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Beans

I'm having intermittent microphone issues. Whenever I start apps that use microphone like Skype, Google Voice Chat, microphone stops working. That is when you open Sound Preference, before opening the apps, you can see microphone indicator moving but after starting the apps indicator no longer moves.

I have ran Alsa update script per linuxhobox suggestion and changed alsa.conf.

Interestingly, once it stops working, suspending and waking it backup gets it going again.

Has anyone seen flaky microphone issues?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Beans

For background, my "old" laptop is a IBM Z61t (14.1" WXGA+, 2GB), which has been running Ubuntu since I got it in 2006 (started wit 6.06 LTS maybe?).

My x120e showed up last Wednesday. I installed 10.10 Desktop 32-bit. I had to install the Realtek drivers which worked without drama. Getting the video to work was more complicated. Do not install the proprietary driver via Ubuntu. It will work OK but the "watermark" is present. To get the 11.2 Catalyst driver from AMD to install properly, you will first have to totally uninstall any of the Ubuntu-supplied Radeon components, which is a pain. Until I installed the 11.2 video driver, it would not resume from suspend. With the new version, it suspends/resumes fine.

I have not debugged hibernate, but a couple tests indicates it doesn't work for me.

Sound worked from the box. Did not test mic or camera.

I replaced the factory HDD with an Intel 510 series SSD (120GB). This thing is blindingly fast. Boot times seem like they are less than 10 seconds from the power button to the keychain-manager password prompt-- but I haven't actually timed it.

Using thinkpad_acpi, the fan control works; however, the fan speed reported is bogus. Setting the fan speed to 7 (fast) actually reports a slower speed than 1 (default/slow).

Average reported CPU temperature is 50-53 degrees. On my old Z61t, it's typically 45. The fan does run at low speed most of the time. This isn't a big deal, but if you put your ear up to it, it is moving and there's the faint fan sound. I will probably write a control program to set a duty cycle on the fan so it doesn't have to spin all the time.

I did have a problem with the x120e, though. After working perfectly and quietly for several days, the fan started to make scraping/vibrating noises on Sunday morning. It sounds like it's either rubbing something or the bearings or spindle is going bad. It sounds like a tiny little diesel engine is idling in there, not cool. I called Lenovo and they're going to replace the fan, which means it'll be out of commission for a few weeks. Bummer, but overall I am impressed with the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

/apps/gnome-power-manager/actions/sleep_type_battery = hibernate
    Changing that to suspend did it! Thanks!
    Last edited by skomra; March 15th, 2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added word "to"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by estebanko View Post
    I'm having intermittent microphone issues. Whenever I start apps that use microphone like Skype, Google Voice Chat, microphone stops working. That is when you open Sound Preference, before opening the apps, you can see microphone indicator moving but after starting the apps indicator no longer moves.

I have ran Alsa update script per linuxhobox suggestion and changed alsa.conf.

Interestingly, once it stops working, suspending and waking it backup gets it going again.

Has anyone seen flaky microphone issues?

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Did you reinstall pulseaudio?

The same thing was happening to me since pulse was not properly configured as the default audio device. Reinstalled and it worked fine.

Beans

Did you reinstall pulseaudio?

The same thing was happening to me since pulse was not properly configured as the default audio device. Reinstalled and it worked fine.
    I'm not having much luck with following. Did you use:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install pulseaudio

to reinstall pulseaudio?

Beans

The skype/gtalk crashes with webcam is finally solved by reinstalling AMD Catalyst driver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by estebanko View Post
    I'm not having much luck with following. Did you use:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install pulseaudio

to reinstall pulseaudio?
    I used Synaptic to do it but command line should have worked.
    Must be something else.
    CHeck /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf to see if pulse is being set as the default sound card.

Found this link on how to enable bluetooth with kernel 2.6.38 and thinkpad_acpi kernel module
    link --> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBM_ThinkPad_X120e
    Code:
    echo "disable" > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
    Last edited by linuxhobox; March 15th, 2011 at 08:06 AM.

Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast