Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Beans

Re: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

http://fossplanet.com/f10/natty-kern...-x120e-111057/
    Found this on natty install.

Install did work for me in text mode. And booted afterwards.

Beans

keep posting please, your info is very useful (looks like i will not buy x120e untill it will work better with ubuntu - i don't like windows)

Beans

The laptop does work. I'm running maverick now.

Here is a list of things not working:
    • Builtin Microphone (not tested on natty)
    • Hibernate (not tested on natty)
    • Bluetooth (works on natty)

Suspend works great and so does wireless.

Fglrx needs support for the most recent xserver. I did see some posts that say the open-source ati driver will support 6x ati very soon. Don't know if the hdmi audio will work w/ out flgrx.

Overall, I'm glad I got this laptop over the sony or dm1z. The build quality is much better.

Beans

I'm just starting up college classes and recognise I'll probably eventually need an ultraportable for class notes and increased productivity at school, however right now I'm only a part time student so I don't have the greatest need. I can only hope that AMD plans to unveil the next generation of fusion APU's as fast next year as they did this year. Zacate/Ontario are first generation, granted they perform very well, but looking at the expected features of Krishna/Wichita I find waiting for that much of an improvement in technology at the same price point worth it.

Differences:
    Ontario/Zacate only use single channel ram, this is killing the potential performance of the APU; the CPU and GPU are sharing single channel bandwidth to the system memory. Krishna/Wichita are expected to have dual channel ram. Ontario/Zacate uses a 40 nm production process, Krishna/Wichita will use a 28 nm production process which will allow them to fit up to four cores on the die while probably still consuming less power/yielding higher performance. Krishna/Wichita will be using a 7xxx series gpu. Finally, current fusion chips aren't using the new instruction sets such as AVX and FMA4; I'm hoping the second generation bobcats will have them so they're future proofed.

There is of course an added benefit for me in waiting this long, any kinks with current fusion products found in software/drivers will hopefully be worked out by the time Krishna/Wichita hit. Even still I'm very tempted to buy an hp dm1z, I acknowledge it's not the most stable chassis design but at $428 after the student discount it does meet all the needs I have as a student. Long battery life, responsive performance, discrete level graphics, and very compact.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhobox View Post
    The laptop does work. I'm running maverick now.

Here is a list of things not working:
    • Builtin Microphone (not tested on natty)
    • Hibernate (not tested on natty)
    • Bluetooth (works on natty)

Suspend works great and so does wireless.

Fglrx needs support for the most recent xserver. I did see some posts that say the open-source ati driver will support 6x ati very soon. Don't know if the hdmi audio will work w/ out flgrx.

Overall, I'm glad I got this laptop over the sony or dm1z. The build quality is much better.
    This is really great information as I have one on order and is very determined to replace windows with working copy of Ubuntu.

I plan to use Skype with this which might be a problem as Microphone isn't seem to be supported. Have you given the webcam a shot?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Beans

Webcam works fine.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1b4 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Lenovo Integrated Camera

I'll take another look at the internal microphone. Also, note that the external is a single jack for both microphone and headphone inputs. Lenovo does not include an adapter.

Update: got some hissing using alsamixer to unmute an input. snd-hda-intel mode settings?
    Last edited by linuxhobox; March 8th, 2011 at 07:50 AM.

Beans

I've got most things working except the microphone. Has anyone had any luck?

Beans

Lots of good info in this thread. Just received my x120e last night. Having trouble with the realtek wireless driver. The only rtl8192ce Linux driver I'm finding on Realtek's site is rtl8192ce-VA4. Is that the one you guys have gotten to work? Wasn't sure what the VA4 meant. I pulled it down and tried to do a make and make install, but encountered errors during the make install part. Haven't spent too much time troubleshooting that yet. Just wanted to verify that I'm barking up the right tree with the rtl8192ce-VA4 driver. Thanks!

Beans

The file I downloaded was:
    rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0005.1116.2010.tar.gz

As for the sound, I still don't have the microphone working. I'll be trying to change model setting in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
    options-snd-hda-intel model=3stack

see http://alsa.opensrc.org/Hda
    for a list of possible model params. The most recent params are also to be found in the alsa/kernel source.

If someone gets bluetooth or the microphone working on maverick please post.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for all the info. My laptop just shipped today, so there will be one more linux user messing with this thing by the end of next week .

I checked on think wiki and it appears the x120e uses the same sound codec as the x100e: Link here. The website mentions that you can get the microphone working on the x100e by adding the following to modprobe.conf
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad
    Linuxhobox, since the codec is the same, could you try doing this on your x120e and see what happens? Also, could you check if the the headphone jack works with headphones?

As a side note, I believe the the headphone/microphone combo port just uses a standard 3.5mm three-ring headset jack (which is backwards compatible with normal headphones and speakers).

Overall, I'm relieved that this laptop is working so well with linux considering how new it is.

Thanks,
    link141

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast