Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: After recent update, red youtube videos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: After recent update, red youtube videos?

Great!!!

Beans

Thank goodness for the forum search function, which precluded my opening a new thread on this. I first noticed the "red" problem on Youtube last night. Oddly, it wasn't 100% consistent; links to Youtube videos from other sites seemed to play with full color, while videos opened in Youtube usually (but not always) were monochrome red.

My first hypothesis was that since I have extensions synced for Chrome browser, the recent Cr-48 Chrome OS update changed Flash when I ran Chrome browser on my Ubuntu netbook, so I disabled syncing of extensions in Chrome, and restored from backup. Video is now playing in technicolor, and I am applying all Ubuntu updates since my last backup to see if the problem returns.

Now I have to go back and read through this thread from the beginning. There is nothing like an active and knowledgeable community of users.

Update: I started reading this thread from the first post, then realized it might be more productive to start from the last.

I just disabled hardware acceleration pref for Flash, which has restored full color Youtube videos. I'm surprised that this problem has been around for at least a week, without being resolved by the Adobe/Google/Linux community (disabling hardware acceleration just being a work-around).
    Last edited by libssd; March 11th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markthekdeguy View Post
    In Firefox there is a fun little plugin (add-ons) called FlashVideoReplacer
    which forces Youtube videos to play in a proper media player. VLC, Kplayer, KMPlayer, Smplayer Kaffeine, Xine, Mplayer, Totem Dragonplayer or whatever. all work, but " FlashVideoReplacer " seems a little flaky on my system so far. i even uninstalled Flash to test, and Youtube was sweet.i prefer it to Flash now.
    I have released version 2.1.0, which has new cool features and improvements.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer

It works best with Firefox 4. I had to reduce the download link results in Firefox 3.x when viewing YouTube, because of performance issues. But it is still a lot better than flash.

The extension also has the ability to automatically redirect to webm page if you are using Firefox 4, so you can watch without any plugin. I prefer to use gecko-mediaplayer than webm tho.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; March 13th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you people still getting this problem? I've removed all workarounds (which, in my case, was simply re-enabling hardware acceleration) and it works.

Either YouTube has fixed whatever needed fixing, or I'm lucky today.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Problem is still there.

Beans

Talking Re: After recent update, red youtube videos?

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    Thank goodness for the forum search function, which precluded my opening a new thread on this. I first noticed the "red" problem on Youtube last night. Oddly, it wasn't 100% consistent; links to Youtube videos from other sites seemed to play with full color, while videos opened in Youtube usually (but not always) were monochrome red.

My first hypothesis was that since I have extensions synced for Chrome browser, the recent Cr-48 Chrome OS update changed Flash when I ran Chrome browser on my Ubuntu netbook, so I disabled syncing of extensions in Chrome, and restored from backup. Video is now playing in technicolor, and I am applying all Ubuntu updates since my last backup to see if the problem returns.

Now I have to go back and read through this thread from the beginning. There is nothing like an active and knowledgeable community of users.

Update: I started reading this thread from the first post, then realized it might be more productive to start from the last.

I just disabled hardware acceleration pref for Flash, which has restored full color Youtube videos. I'm surprised that this problem has been around for at least a week, without being resolved by the Adobe/Google/Linux community (disabling hardware acceleration just being a work-around).
    It works for me. PERFECT!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kupfer View Post
    Thanks to user Liakoni from the Linux Mint Forums I can report a solution this problem. You need to disable hardware acceleration in the flash settings.

Step 1. Right click on a flash content (I went to this flash site http://moodstream.gettyimages.com/ and simply right clicked on the page)
    Step 2. Choose the entry "Settings..."
    Step 3. Unclick entry "Enable hardware acceleration"
    Step 4. Click "Close"

For me this fixed the issue on all of my browesers (Firefox, Chrome stable, Chromium). No more thick red filter on youtube videos.

Thanks again to Liakoni for discovering this solution.
    Great thanks this works a treat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi everyone!

It worked for me too; thanx a lot yall.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Katten Jansson View Post
    How to fix this!

This procedure worked for me. The reasons given why it works is speculations.Youtube use faulty/outdated preferences for showing video, it get those from cookies that the site have set previously. Youtube seem to use some kind of "super cookie" (it use reduntant places to store information in order to make it harder for you to delete it), so you have to clean out both flash cookies and web-browser cookies and cache, otherwise youtube will restore the old preference after some time and go back to displaying pink videos.

Close all Youtube, Google, et.c. affiliated pages in the browser(s).

Remove flash cookies
    Use a tool like better privacy or do it manually.

Remove browser cookies and clear cache
    Do this for all browsers that you use (or it will reset the Flash preferences shared by all browsers).

Update: I found a Wikipedia-article describing these kind of cookies:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie
    This worked for me! for now a least! Thanks

Beans

Never mind the problem came back after a browsed elsewhere on Chrome and came back. The I re-resolved it by deleting recent cookies. Deleting the cookies solved the problem in firefox as well.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast