Thread: Downloading Corrupt Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Downloading Corrupt Files

If I download a corrupt file, something media, like Image, Video or Audio. Will it cause a problem for my OS? It doesn't have to be media, but in general, does deleting it eliminate the problem, or will it install something malicious?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Downloading Corrupt Files

Quote Originally Posted by alexis44 View Post
    If I download a corrupt file, something media, like Image, Video or Audio. Will it cause a problem for my OS? It doesn't have to be media, but in general, does deleting it eliminate the problem, or will it install something malicious?
    No, you're fine.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Common sense should come into play here, if the file is corrupt, and you can't access it, it shouldn't do any harm to your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Common sense should come into play here, if the file is corrupt, and you can't access it, it shouldn't do any harm to your system.
    If it will still open up, and is corrupt, will it cause a problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Generally speaking, No. But that really depends on the app being used to open it. If it's well written it will warn about the file and close. But it's conceivable that a poorly written app that doesn't realize the file is corrupt could mis-interpret the data and go off it's tracks. It would probably be unusual to do any harm rather than just hang, but such harm would be unpredictable.

Beans

I agree with BkkBonanza. An accidentally corrupt file is very unlikely to do anything worse than crash the application reading it. And if you delete the file, it is gone and you are OK again.

That said, there are lots of "exploits" that use carefully crafted malformed/corrupted files that deliberately crash the application in such a way as to make the program misbehave and open a security loophole.