This is an idea I'm looking to implement if anyone can help point me in the right direction or let me know if there is already an easy way to do this - I'm pretty new to programming for Ubuntu/Gnome/X.

What I would like is the option to use a touchscreen as a touchpad. The rationale being that the touchscreen could then be used to move the mouse around on other screens as well (and more precisely than tapping, at that).

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/lapt...W100/W105-L251
This might make even more sense on one of my use cases, the Toshiba Libretto w105 dual-screen umpc - I would like the option to turn the bottom screen off and instead use the touchscreen like a touchpad (to perhaps save battery while still being useful and providing more precise mouse input) - this would be a major step toward that.

I think it could be useful in a general sense too, for cases where precise clicking is needed (though ideally on a touch system you wouldn't need precise clicking skills, but that's just not always the case).

Ideally, the solution would not be specific to any particular touchscreen/drivers, but I'm also interested in short-term quicker solutions too.

Any tips on how to achieve this or resources to help me get going?

Thanks,
~Troop