Thread: in the market for a new computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

in the market for a new computer

So I am considering a new computer seeing as my Hp is on its last leg. What I need help with is whether or not I should invest another 900 dollars into a laptop or sink considerably less into a netbook. To give you an idea of my usage, I primarily just surf the web and write documents. I do also watch video primarily off my netflix and hulu. however this may be solved with my potential investment into a PS3. I do a little photo editing nothing more than Gimp really. and I am returning to college this fall and moving about 200 miles away. With my job I need to have an active windows partition so I can do Android and Blackberry upgrades for customers. I would love some feedback
    -ASUS U46: Intel Core I5(Sandy Bridge) 8 gb Ram, Integrated Graphics card. Currently running Ubuntu 13.04(64bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: in the market for a new computer

Lenovo ThinkPad X120e prices start at $399... its powered by AMD's new Fusion chips with the GPU in the Processor!

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...906FFA72CB90D5

Best work/play laptop I can think of. Its better powered than a Netbook and can handle graphics better than many regulat laptops!

Beans

I definitely do believe the model my own PC is may be a bit too much for your needs as it was designed for high-end multimedia and heavy gaming

I suggest that you follow buyer guides instead as those can be helpful in picking out the perfect computer for your needs.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Awh the options! I am not sure how much this will help but here are some considerations.
    A lot of netbooks have smaller screens which would be a pain for the sorts of things you are doing. Editing images, writing long documents and watching videos are all better suited to a larger screen. Also will you be needing to use CD's or DVD's at college?
    On the up side a smaller computer would be a lot easier to carry about college and to take home with you if you travel often. Normally battery life if pretty good on them and they are light and quiet, making them useful in class. Modern netbooks have large enough hard drives for dual booting without any bother.

Currently at collage and got a netbook a month or so back and I love it to bits.

Beans

I can only suggest not getting a notebook, but getting a cheaper PC. I've been in an exactly mirrored version of your situation, and not getting the notebook due to how expensive they can be. I tend to think that they are also harder to choose. Good notebooks with a good chip and some good graphics are really starting to increase in dollar value, and if your situation reflects that you cant really afford to step up to the highest, then step back, and as a last resort get a notebook.

Beans
    Hidden!

Get the cheapest netbook you can find on craigslist for taking notes in class, and build a nice machine for home/dorm use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[QUOTE=babybean;10514330 will you be needing to use CD's or DVD's at college?
    [/QUOTE]

I hate hybrid and online courses so I am just looking for a no frills solution for what I do. I think that The lack of optical drive is a non issue for me as I want to build a desktop for my home. I like the idea of a netbook simply to keep me focused. I don't really game and if I cant distract myself with alot of bells and whistles I feel i can work more efficiently.
    -ASUS U46: Intel Core I5(Sandy Bridge) 8 gb Ram, Integrated Graphics card. Currently running Ubuntu 13.04(64bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be honest I have been so disappointed with the last two laptops I have bought That I am turned off at the idea of sinking another 8-900 dollars into a new laptop. I am considering a netbook both for portability and efficiency. I feel I bought a new laptop with my last purchase and had nothing but issues with it. I know a couple of people with eeepc's and they seem to hold up great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think you have yourself convinced. Go for it, especially if you are looking for portability & efficiency. Most of them are lighter than a textbook and the battery last hours.
    Also if the worst comes to the worst you have only wasted half the money you would have on a laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by babybean View Post
    I think you have yourself convinced. Go for it, especially if you are looking for portability & efficiency. Most of them are lighter than a textbook and the battery last hours.
    Also if the worst comes to the worst you have only wasted half the money you would have on a laptop
    I think thisforum has helped me alot with my decision. I think netbook is the way to go and then I am going to build a monster computer for my apartment to manage the heavier tasks that i periodically do. Thanks community once again you perform admirably in a moment of indecisiveness