Thread: How can new programmers get into open source project development?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How can new programmers get into open source project development?

I'm in college right now majoring in comp sci and currently taking a c++ class. I'd like to get started actually working on a program rather than just homework junk all the time. Is there any help I could be to real open source dev teams? And if so how could I find a team to work with?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How can new programmers get into open source project development?

Quote Originally Posted by Interius View Post
    I'm in college right now majoring in comp sci and currently taking a c++ class. I'd like to get started actually working on a program rather than just homework junk all the time. Is there any help I could be to real open source dev teams? And if so how could I find a team to work with?
    "New" programmers cannot get into open source project development. First, they have to transition to competent programmers by themselves.

Learn a lot, read a lot (mailing lists, forums, documentation, autotools, Makefile, svn, git, bzr). Program a few applications by yourself (GTK, Qt, WxWidgets, SDL, OpenGL, use external libraries). Afterwards, you will have the skills and experience to crash into any open source project, and say, "I can help with this patch".

That is, very few projects will give you guidance if you don't already know how it works. Few people have time and patience to teach newbies all there is to know about a project. You are expected to learn most of this by yourself, by reading the code and documentation, if any. This means some projects are complete hacks and don't even have sufficient documentation to begin with. Documenting something is always a big task that many developers are simply lazy to take care of, because, you know, they programmed the thing, so they know how it works.

Therefore, the best way to start with open source, is start a project yourself. It may be the case that when you get enough experience you become the mentor of other newbies.

Of course, this is only one piece of advice. The most important thing to remember is that open source is open. Code is there, you just have to take it, and modify it. Have initiative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Inspiring, thank you Mr. Vox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I would start my own project to get an experience boost, then people will want you.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

-------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.