Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laptop indicates critical battery and suspends. why is it lying to me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: laptop indicates critical battery and suspends. why is it lying to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vi3tHoneyX View Post
    Maybe this will help?
    Quote Originally Posted by pieisgood4589 View Post
    The problem isn't with the physical machine, only with Ubuntu misdiagnosing the battery condition.

I'm going to assume that you checked the MD5 on your .iso and burned it properly.

A bit of Googling brought me to this thread which could shed light on your issue-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543467
    Have you checked out these two forum links yet? They might provide you with an answer.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." -Albert Einstein
    Ubuntu User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The problem isn't with the physical machine, only with Ubuntu misdiagnosing the battery condition.

I'm going to assume that you checked the MD5 on your .iso and burned it properly.

A bit of Googling brought me to this thread which could shed light on your issue-
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543467
    as i have indicated, i am a novice so i dont know what md5 is.

perhaps i am describing the issue wrong.

HERE: my battery charges and discharges fine. however, everytime i plug in my ac adapter (regardless of battery level) i get a pop up saying the battery is at a critical level as is suspending. this causes me to have to close the lid and unsuspend every single time i decide to recharge my battery (even if the level is at lets say 80%).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you checked out these two forum links yet? They might provide you with an answer.

the first one is a completely a different issue and helps me in a different way.

the second is an issue that i am not having.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ah, after describing the issue again, I think I understand.

I had a client with a MSI Wind u100 netbook loaded with Ubuntu that had this exact problem. Even with a fully charged battery, once you unplug it from the power source, Ubuntu displays a popup warning that the battery level is critical, and the computer suspends/hibernates.

If you want to circumvent the problem for now, you can run System->Preferences->Power Management and go to the On Battery Power tab.

The entry for 'When laptop lid is closed' is the behaviour that gets acted when you remove your AC cable. I've changed it to 'Blank Screen' for now, as I can live with that. It seems that to my knowledge and to Google's that this is a bug that is currently being worked on.

Some reported success with updating the GNOME Power Manager tool, but that was around 8.04, and might not work with the newer versions of Ubuntu.
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." -Albert Einstein
    Ubuntu User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the problem is when is that ubuntu gives a pop up message that battery level is critical when i PLUG-IN the ac adapter. unplugging doesnt give me a problem. everytime i PLUG IN to recharge, my computer suspends. how can i fix this?
    HP Envy 14-1200 Beats Edition | i7-740QM 1.73Ghz | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | 640GB 7200RPM | Ubuntu 10.10-amd64 | Win7 x64
    Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMi | AMD Turion-64 2.0Ghz | 1.5GB DDR | Ubuntu 10.10-i386
    Follow me: www.twitter.com/_seabass

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump

problem is still persisting
    Last edited by SebSmith; March 28th, 2011 at 03:43 AM.
    HP Envy 14-1200 Beats Edition | i7-740QM 1.73Ghz | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | 640GB 7200RPM | Ubuntu 10.10-amd64 | Win7 x64
    Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMi | AMD Turion-64 2.0Ghz | 1.5GB DDR | Ubuntu 10.10-i386
    Follow me: www.twitter.com/_seabass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12