Thread: Some themes I've made that could be made easier for the user if I knew ImageMagick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Some themes I've made that could be made easier for the user if I knew ImageMagick

I've created several themes for GNU/Linux that requires some manual image editing to be used as intended.

For examples of what I mean check out some of my themes:
    http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/a...rout-179554275
    http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/art/Soothe-199342656
    http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/a...lues-175190463

The panel is supposed to be pasted on the wallpaper manually by the user because of limitations in Gnome. (I know that you can now set a transparent png image manually in the panel properties. However, this doesn't apply to images with rounded edges or other things that are sticking out a bit.)

For more people to have the option to use my themes as intended I want to check the possibilities of creating an ImageMagick script that can do the following:

1. Check the user's desktop resolution.
    2. Open the wallpaper image the user have placed in the same folder as the script.
    3. Resize the wallpaper to the user's desktop resolution.
    4. Open the panel.png file inside the same folder and then liquid-rescale it to the desktop width and place it at the top of the wallpaper image so the end result will look like this for example:

(Click to enlarge.)
    (Download wall here: http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/a...hose-180844396 )

Now I have no idea where to start with ImageMagick as I've never used it before. So I'm asking here hoping that someone can help me out with some basics here.

I know about liquid-rescaling as there's a plugin for GIMP, but everything else is new for me.
    Last edited by LarsKongo; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Some themes I've made that could be made easier for the user if I knew ImageMagic

This is actually the wrong tool for the job. What you want is Conky. It's a very lightweight application that can be configured to overlay an image (or multiple images, or text, or geometry, or about six billion meaningless system meters, but that's irrelevant now) a on the user's desktop, above x-nautilus-desktop but below all applications. Full support for .png alpha, of course. See this thread.

Gorgeous work, by the way.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Some themes I've made that could be made easier for the user if I knew ImageMagic

Hi LarsKongo, this script should do the trick.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Find the biggest file in the folder as its certainly the wallpaper
    wallpaper=$(ls -S1 | head -1)

# Use xdpyinfo to get the screen resolution : widthxheight
    resolution=$(xdpyinfo | grep dimensions | grep -o \[0-9\]*x\[0-9\]* | head -1)

# Isolate the width (for the panel)
    screen_width=$(echo $resolution | sed s/x.*//)

# Get the width of panel.png (we need it for liquid resize)
    panel_width=$(identify panel.png | grep -o \[0-9\]*x\[0-9\]* | head -1 | sed s/x.*//)

# calculate the resizing amount needed for the width of panel.png
    width_in_percent=$(($screen_width*100/panel_width))

# Show what we are doing
    echo "Wallpaper : $wallpaper"
    echo "Panel : panel.png"
    echo "Resolution : $resolution"

# Imagemagick awesomeness appends here
    convert $wallpaper -geometry $resolution\! $resolution-$wallpaper
    convert panel.png  -liquid-rescale $width_in_percent%\!x100%\! $screen_width-panel.png

# Et voila! New files are "widthxheight-wallpaperfilename" and "width-panel.png"
    echo "Files produced : $resolution-$wallpaper $screen_width-panel.png"
    You really should learn some imagemagick commands, they are very powerful and easy to use! There is an extensive documentation at http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
    Testing junkie, davidc3 on Launchpad, <davidcalle> on Freenode and davidc on identi.ca.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for that.
    Some problems though. Script doesn't keep the alpha transparency in the panel.png image. I've been googling some time now to find a solution, but none of them works.

Using this image: http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/panel.png

I'm also wondering if the liquid-rescale can ignore some margins to the left and right of the image so those rounded edges doesn't get stretched? (Just like liquid-rescale does in GIMP.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No help here but I have to say it looks amazing, good luck getting imagemagic working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you have any particular preference against just using Conky? I mean, you can have Conky draw the panel and just pin it to the upper right corner. There's no need to edit the backdrop, so when the user changes the backdrop, they don't have to run the script all over again. There's no trouble with rescaling, because the image would be cropped instead. It'd also save you a hell of a lot of time in making up this script.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm looking into that too.
    (I'm not sure if the user can click on gnome-panel if there's a conky over it though.)

ImageMagick however is good to learn too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Fair point! = )

I don't actually think Conky renders over Gnome Panel, but I'm only like 90% sure. (I'm embarrassed to say that I can't actually test it, because I somehow managed to bork my Gnome Panel soon after I stopped using it.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Do you know gimp batch mode? http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/
    I used it to make batch token icons and batch resize them.