Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No bass using headphones on Meerkat ION

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: No bass using headphones on Meerkat ION

Quote Originally Posted by Flyers2391 View Post
    Is it possibly they are apple headphones...?
    Philips SHP2500. Sorry.

Also, my old (display-dead) laptop with a Windows XP / Ubuntu dual-boot never experienced this problem in either operating system (I could always hear the bass on that just fine - in fact I ended up rarely using the built-in speakers the laptop had). If you need more info on that, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 through Wubi on my Dell Inspiron 8600 about a month or two before Intrepid came out, and upgraded it through Lucid (which is when the display died). Thanks to hard drive issues, I never could install it normally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all that. Would it be possible to try a different set of headphones? Not satellite speakers, but headphones.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Thanks for all that. Would it be possible to try a different set of headphones? Not satellite speakers, but headphones.
    I have a pair of Koss clipons that are pretty light on bass that I rarely use nowadays thanks to my other 'phones (although I do use them from time to time). Lemme check them out really quickly (I also have a PSP 3000 that I can use for this test alongside my iPod, although I'd have to change my test song).

Edit: Correction - Philips clipons. I had a pair of Koss clipons that failed on me a few years ago, and I've since gotten two different pairs of Philips clipons (these and a previous pair that also failed on me). I always forget that these aren't Koss though.

Anyway, just tried listening to the same song on a PSP (with the EQ off), an iPod (again with the EQ off) and the Meerkat ION through Nautilus's Gstreamer preview (which is what I've been doing the whole time). Even with the clipons' low bass output I can VERY easily hear the lack of bass on the Meerkat ION. In fact, I have a very old pair of generic headphones (generic in that they have no brand marking other than "Digital Stereo Headphones") that I don't use anymore thanks to the left speaker breaking off (though I can still put them on if I'm a bit careful, and they work perfectly otherwise). The pair is probably (though I'm only wildly guessing) older than iPods themselves, and I can still hear the bass perfectly fine with these connected to my iPod but no bass whatsoever when they're connected to the Meerkat ION.
    Last edited by Sig Nuka; March 11th, 2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: posting results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm getting decent bass output from ours in the shop, through both satellites and headphones. Make sure the plug is completely inserted, as that may be causing it. If that doesn't help, then it could simply be a subjective issue. You can have a look at this thread for a system-wide equalizer you can try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308838
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

You can have a look at this thread for a system-wide equalizer you can try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308838
    Tried it, and it's not helping at all.

Isn't there another interface that might've had the sound properties changed that I could access? Like alsamixer but for PulseAudio (besides the default one I mean)?

I'm starting to think that computers hate me (I had numerous problems with my old Dell laptop since day 1 way back in December of '04).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have one more thing I'd like you to try. Try playing your iPod from the speakers, without adjusting the settings. It could be that Apple (et al) are optimizing a hidden EQ for earbud headphones, and that's why you get decent sound from them.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

I have one more thing I'd like you to try. Try playing your iPod from the speakers, without adjusting the settings. It could be that Apple (et al) are optimizing a hidden EQ for earbud headphones, and that's why you get decent sound from them.
    Well see...

A: I don't use earbud headphones. Never liked them.

B: I tried my headphones (clipons and over-ear) with my PSP and the sound is just fine (I've got some songs loaded on the memory card). So it can't be an Apple issue since without anything Apple it still works fine.

C: I actually have a second user on this computer that I loaded up yesterday and I ended up listening to a song from there. I figured if it was an EQ issue it'd play fine since I'm pretty sure EQ settings don't carry to different users. It didn't play fine. Same problem (lack of bass). Now I'm worried.

I actually have a Lucid Lynx CD around - I'm gonna try and boot it up (somehow - I'm pretty sure I have to investigate how to do it) to see if it's a software or hardware issue.

I'll probably connect my speakers to my PSP as well to see how it fares. I shouldn't notice a difference, but you never know. Knowing my luck there'll probably be more bass or something.

Pre-post edit: Yeah, um, I can't notice a difference between the PSP and the Meerkat ION using my speakers. Maybe the subwoofer is just that good at hiding it? I dunno.

I'll try the Lucid CD tomorrow.

Edit: Um... how do you boot from the CD on these? Google searches brought up F12 (didn't work), Escape (didn't work), F8, F10, F11, and just letting the CD run automatically (obviously didn't work). Any help?
    Last edited by Sig Nuka; March 16th, 2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: stuck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can edit the boot order by entering the BIOS. The BIOS is is a little wonky; Delete in this case.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

You can edit the boot order by entering the BIOS. The BIOS is is a little wonky; Delete in this case.
    Ah, many thanks. (saw this response with my PSP)

Well, bad news: I still couldn't get any bass with my headphones, which is NOT a good sign. Not sure if there's a way to change the settings on the sound card itself, or if it's *gulp* a faulty sound card. Hopefully the former is possible, and if it is I'd like to know how.

This whole ordeal reminds me of my laptop and how when I first got it I found out that Windows Media Player 10 couldn't rip to mp3, and a year or two later the update to version 11 didn't fix it. Hopefully when I (maybe, possibly, eventually) get a Bonobo Pro from you guys I don't get yet another "day 1" flaw with it. I have such horrible luck I swear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12