Thread: Nvidia artifacts after mythfrontend crashes

Beans

Nvidia artifacts after mythfrontend crashes

Got to be a common issue with Mythbuntu 10.10 and .24. Mythtv looks fine - HD works great - even with 1080p content. But if mythfrontend crashes - which occurs sometime - I have "snowy" kind of artifact that remain. It's like some garbage got left in video memory. Restarting mythfrontend does not eliminate it - some of still "bleeds" thru depending on the video content. Rebooting solves it until the next time. Have the same thing occur on another mythfrontend client. Any suggestions? Not a big problem - I've lived with it for a few months now - but annoying...

Beans

Re: Nvidia artifacts after mythfrontend crashes

I have the same issue with 2 different Ion frontends. Now days I just try to avoid crashing, I have to reboot to get rid of the artifacts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ditto here!
    (sorry, not much help, I know. At least you know you are not alone...)

Beans

I'll join the party. I get the same artifacts when the frontend crashes.

Beans

This is a known issue with the > 256 nVidia drivers. The only real solution is to downgrade to the 256 drivers. Though I will tell you I downgraded to the 256 drivers, and my machine completely locks if the frontend crashes so I had to go all the way to the 195 drivers. I am now running the 270 drivers, and although this problem still exists, my frontend crashes are so rare, I can live with it.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rivers;#467324

I suppose you could always rig a remote key to restart X (sudo service gdm restart) which will get you the same results as a full reboot.
    Last edited by uncle hammy; March 4th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Knowing that I'm not the only one is a big help. Like I said it's not a big issue - just an annoyance....