Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Back Light Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Back Light Issue

Hello, I've been thrashing about the internet looking for a solution to this problem but haven't encountered very many places that even agree on what the problem is.

Firstly I'll state the problem as clearly as I can:

When booting into Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal there is no back light to the laptop display. An image is produced and you can just make out the desktop and some of the brighter windows but there is no light behind the image to make it more visible.

This is NOT the contrast/brightness issue/bug and has nothing to do with the brightness settings or adjusting using the laptops function keys.

OK that's the problem, here's my setup:

I'm on an Acer Aspire 5736Z laptop. It uses an Intel GMA 4500M integrated GPU. I am booting from a liveUSB installation of Natty from todays (28th April) release i386-desktop image. I previously installed the beta2 version to disk (I had formatted the HDD at the time an figured I'd give it a spin) and the same issue occured so I'm relatively sure it doesn't matter that I'm booting from USB.

Here's what I've tried:

There's not a great deal I can do once Natty has started to boot because it's too dark to see very much. I have tried going to the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3 etc. consoles but they are also very dark. I am able to get an image with the nosetmode boot option but this isn't a perfect fix. The desktop defaults to gnome2 rather than unity and the resolution seems low and stretched (it's a wide screen laptop). Going to the System> Preferences> Monitors tool doesn't allow any changes to the resolution or refresh rate (which for some reason claims to be 0).

I have checked the Additional Driver installer and it doesn't find any additional drivers. My display works fine under 10.10 out of the box (perhaps a little bad for 3D but then it is Intel so that's expected).

If folks need more details I'm happy to get them if you tell me exactly what it is you're looking for. Bear in mind I'll either need to use nomodeset or sit in a dark cupboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Back Light Issue

I too am having this same issue. I had it with the beta release with 11.04 but i expected it would be fixed by final release. Well, it's not fixed I have an Emachine e725. I am booting from a burned ISO. I also had Intel graphics
    Last edited by jsebean; April 28th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Beans

I too am having this exact same issue and was expecting it to be fixed in today's final release...but I guess not.

I was told that it was working in kernels up to and including 2.6.36 but since .38 it has not been working.

I really hope this gets sorted soon as 10.10 works perfectly and 11.04 does so long as I plug in a secondary display, but I want to be able to use 11.04 just on my laptop not having to have it plugged into a second display.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It would seem perhaps this is the issue:

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/2...201853772.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanac View Post
    It would seem perhaps this is the issue:

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/2...201853772.html
    maybe, there is a patch linked in the comments, maybe you could try (I am at work so can't)

Beans

having same problem to. but how do i get to fix this when i can't see anything at all? :O and i didn't understand what to do
    Packard Bell Dot NC15 Netbook - Ubuntu Karmic Koala Desktop

Acer Aspire 5732Z 4GB RAM upgrade - Ubuntu Karmic Koala Desktop

Beans

I'm having exactly the same problem on my Acer 5732Z.

It's staggering to think that, technically speaking, I'd be better off with Windows ME. Ouch!

Beans

I am a neophyte and will need really good instructions to do this, but I just plugged my acer aspire 5732z into my digital projector and it showed on that screen fine.
    You all probably knew this, but I assume any external monitor would work as well.

So, if any of you find a fix, we can at least find a way to see the program well enough to implement the fix.

I will wait for you programers to tell us what to do.

thanks,

Beans

I have this exact same issue on an emachines. I had it during beta and expected the issue to be resolved today but it wasn't. Right now I'm using a script that I found somewhere on the net. You just have to log in, open a terminal (Ctrl+alt+t), and execute the script or type the command. You need root permissions.
    Code:
    sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0
    I don't know why it works, just that it works. Maybe someone that is better with coding can decipher and find a permanent solution. Good Luck!
    Last edited by gingivere0; April 29th, 2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Typo

Beans

What do you do when that command doesnt work either?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast