Thread: Nvidia Driver Hell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Nvidia Driver Hell

I am running UbuntuStudo 10.10 and have an Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE video card. Every time there is an update to the Nvidia Current driver, I get a black screen and log-in prompt when I reboot, unless I boot into an older kernel. This hasn't been too much trouble until the last couple of updates. Now the only way I am able to boot into a working desktop is to install and run the Nvidia driver release 260.19.36 from their website, and to boot into kernel 2.6.35.24. None of the other kernels will work...

I desperately need to be able to use either the low latency or real time kernels, but am now unable to do so. In the past I had to patch the video driver before being able to do so, but now I am unable to do that either. I am assuming because of the driver being downloaded from Nvidia instead of from one of the repositories?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to get out of this Nvidia hell? If not, what video card would be best to switch to. I have very little free money, so inexpensive is best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nvidia Driver Hell

If I read you correctly, each time there is a kernal update you lose your nVidia driver.

I had a similar problem after installing from the nVidia site but I did find instructions to have the nVidia drivers auto update after a kernal update here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835573

It has worked for me, it might be what you are looking for.

Hope it helps.
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Nvidia Driver Hell

Just in case anyone has this same problem in the future, here are the steps I went through to resolve it:

1. Download the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php
    2. Open module blacklist as admin:
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    3. Add the following lines, then save:

blacklist vga16fb
      blacklist nouveau
      blacklist rivafb
      blacklist nvidiafb
      blacklist rivatv
    4. Uninstall any previously installed Nvidia drivers
      Code:
      sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
    5. Reboot the computer (should boot to a black screen with a command window style text log in prompt)
    6. Log in as per normal
    7. Install the driver
      Code:
      sudo service gdm stop
      cd (directory the driver was downloaded to in Step1)
      sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.36.run   (substitute your driver version)
      sudo service gdm start
    8. Log in to desktop
    9. When desktop has loaded re-configure X
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfig