Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphical artefacts

Beans

Graphical artefacts

Haven't found any other thread about this so I'm opening a new one.

When I open a menu I get graphical glitces, also metacity decorator is corrupted.

This issue appeared with Xorg 1.10 (from its first rc release),
    it is reproducible with different graphic drivers (ati, nouveau, nvidia, gma500, vesa, vbox),
    it is present with metacity and with metacity compositor, only with compiz activated is no more present.

Any suggestions?

this is a video with the problem: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/artefacts.ogv
    and bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/xorg-server/+bug/726369
    Last edited by lucazade; March 22nd, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: updated description

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Graphical artefacts

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post

When I open a menu I get graphical corruption, some artefacts.. it seems video memory is not clean or has some issue.
    This issue appeared with Xorg 1.10 (from its first rc release) and it is present in a virtual machine and also using a Nvidia or Intel gfx card so it seems not related to graphic drivers.

I haven't found any bug report on Launchpad, don't know if it is related to pixman or to other component. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if any of this is related but on a newly booted PC, if I log in and open an application, say Opera, the main program window will for a very short time consist of "noise". By that I mean hundreds of vertical lines before the window detail is displayed. I've also been messing about converting my installation from Ubuntu to Xubuntu and back again. When I log in I see either my previous log in screen or a bright flash of colour momentarily. I'm not sure when this started happening but I don't see anything like this when using Lucid or Maverick. I'm using the Classic Desktop without effects.

Excellent video by the way.
    I'm part of a small team that produce the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter but we always needs help. Why not come and join us?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post

When I open a menu I get graphical corruption, some artefacts.. it seems video memory is not clean or has some issue.
    This issue appeared with Xorg 1.10 (from its first rc release) and it is present in a virtual machine and also using a Nvidia or Intel gfx card so it seems not related to graphic drivers.

I haven't found any bug report on Launchpad, don't know if it is related to pixman or to other component. Any suggestions?

I have the same behaviour on my ATI HD3200.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I have been experiencing this for some time now on my laptop (Nvidia graphics) but haven't mentioned it because I have had other more pressing issues to deal with. Natty was doing so well for a while but all the problems seem to be creeping out of the woodwork since the new X stack was introduced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I'm not sure if any of this is related but on a newly booted PC, if I log in and open an application, say Opera, the main program window will for a very short time consist of "noise". By that I mean hundreds of vertical lines before the window detail is displayed. I've also been messing about converting my installation from Ubuntu to Xubuntu and back again. When I log in I see either my previous log in screen or a bright flash of colour momentarily. I'm not sure when this started happening but I don't see anything like this when using Lucid or Maverick. I'm using the Classic Desktop without effects.

Excellent video by the way.
    I was getting the same thing using the nouveau driver but haven't had it since the Nvidia-current became avaiable for 1.10.rc2 xorg .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

At least i'm not the only one.. I'll open a bug.
    I hope final xorg 1.10 release will not have this issue because is not nice!

Beans

openend a new bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/xorg-server/+bug/726369

I've linked the bug to Xorg server, don't know if I should link to any other projects.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    I was getting the same thing using the nouveau driver but haven't had it since the Nvidia-current became avaiable for 1.10.rc2 xorg .
    I had the same behavior when using the nouveau drivers.

Beans
    Distro

something new and interesting has popped up since my last post . after updates late sunday two strange things are happening , my top panel which I have set to fully transparent comes up grey with thin white vertical stripes on bootup but if I go to properties and set the panel backgroun to "system theme" and then back to solid color it turns transparent again . and when typing a message in the message window on this forum I cannot place the cursor with the mouse and the arrow keys cause erratic jumps in the cursor and sometimes vertical lines to be drawn .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

some news... it looks like it is related to XServer with no backfill functionality

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...er-no-backfill
    "This PPA contains a variant of the xserver with background initialization disabled. This will result in background corruption (video garbage) in windows or new objects, however it also gives a performance boost, and on some drivers the corruption isn't noticeable."

This is imho a major issue for natty release because it affects "Classical Session"

I've updated bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/xorg-server/+bug/726369

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast