Thread: Looking for a PDF editor that can erase metadata

Beans

Exclamation Looking for a PDF editor that can erase metadata

I am looking for a PDF editor for Ubuntu that has the ability to erase all metadata from a document. I want to do this so that even if the PDF file is posted publicly, I would be at no risk.

I know Adobe Acrobat can do this completely and well, but it isn't free. Does anybody know what else might be able to do this job? I need a utility that can erase everything, including deleted/cropped content.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Looking for a PDF editor that can erase metadata

Possibly the simplest thing to do is to print your PDF file using "Print to PDF". That should retain the content but create a new PDF file with a mainly blank set of metadata.

If you haven't yet set up a PDF printer on Ubuntu, there are lots of how-tos on the web - e.g. http://hubpages.com/hub/Print-to-PDF-in-Ubuntu-904

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbrice View Post
    Possibly the simplest thing to do is to print your PDF file using "Print to PDF". That should retain the content but create a new PDF file with a mainly blank set of metadata.

If you haven't yet set up a PDF printer on Ubuntu, there are lots of how-tos on the web - e.g. http://hubpages.com/hub/Print-to-PDF-in-Ubuntu-904
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of a PDF printer that can remove all metadata (not just most)? On one of my Windows computers, I have a PDF printer called CutePDF installed. Whenever I print anything with CutePDF, it leaves at least some metadata that I have to delete myself. Is there anything I can do on Ubuntu to ensure that absolutely all metadata is gone from a PDF?

It doesn't have to be a PDF printer. If you know of some utility that can erase metadata without being a PDF printer, I'd gladly use it as long as it does its job properly.
    Last edited by opendoors; February 28th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by opendoors View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of a PDF printer that can remove all metadata (not just most)?
    Have you tried the Ubuntu "cups to PDF" printer that I mentioned in my previous post - it probably does exactly what you want? I said "most" as it adds a document title to the metadata, but it's not the one from the original document.