Thread: Which version of KDM is in the Lucid repo?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Which version of KDM is in the Lucid repo?

Hi,

Which version of KDM is in the Lucid repository? Also, if using KDM in Lucid, is the following configuration of VTs possible?

VT 1-4 getty
    VT 5-7 KDM
    VT 8-9 free
    VT 10-12 logs

Thank you.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which version of KDM is in the Lucid repo?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-updates/kdm turns out "4.4.5".

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you are meaning by the other one.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Thank you.

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you are meaning by the other one.
    A Virtual Terminal (VT) also called a Virtual Console (VC), is a means for an operating system to display interfaces--text or graphic. At present (on Hardy) I have my VTs configured to run agetty (alternative getty) on VTs 1 through 4, GDM on VTs 5 through 7, with 8 and 9 empty and some logs on VTs 10 through 12. What this means is that when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1-F4 I will see a text log-in screen (shown by agetty) which will allow me to log-in to a command shell: tcsh in my case. If I press Ctrl+Alt+F5-F7 I will see a graphical log-in screen allowing me to log-in to a graphical shell: In my case that's Xfce, although I sometimes use other GUIs also. If I press Ctrl+Alt+F10 I will see User logs, Ctrl+Alt+F11: Daemon logs, Ctrl+Alt+F12: Kernel logs.

I want to upgrade Hardy to Lucid but changes made to GDM will make this setup impossible. I am wondering if it's possible to do this with KDM. If so, I can upgrade to Lucid and replace GDM with KDM.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for clearing up. Though I do know the term VT, I've never seen such an complex usage, sounds useful/productive.

As you might guess, I have no idea if KDM is capable of doing that. I only use GDM, in a basic, untweaked way.