Page 20 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by powerofpi View Post
    Can anyone tell me how easy it is to connect and disconnect from a second monitor with the Intel Sandy Bridge IGP? I'm willing to run the 2.6.38 kernel in Maverick, but I need to know that multi-monitor configurations work well.
    I haven't had any issues on 11.04 and I don't recall any on 10.10. This is on a MBP 8,3 and you get the "twinview" monitor as soon as you plug in the additional monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by boowebb View Post
    I haven't had any issues on 11.04 and I don't recall any on 10.10. This is on a MBP 8,3 and you get the "twinview" monitor as soon as you plug in the additional monitor.
    Same here with a MBP 8,2. As soon as you plug in the additional monitor yo will have twinview or extended monitor. You can change the layout from the Monitor preferences dialog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gforster View Post
    xf86-input-multitouch has been added to the ppa so I updated the wiki with instructions to get multitouch working properly.
    Did you add the bit about customizing xorg.conf. I couldn't find a copy in /etc/X11. Since my video has been fine so far, I hadn't gone looking for it.

Is xorg.conf the only option for those configurations? Any suggestion for generating one, based on the current configuration?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Apparently I'm the only one who gets a kernel hang when trying to load the ndiswrapper module, amusing because I'm the one that found the driver and got it working first.

As far as sound mine sounds great, getting the full 2.1 sound or whatever (assuming this model still has an extra speaker for bass).
    Hi Amaranth

I've got one of the new Quad Core i7 17" MacBook Pros and cannot get WiFi working through ndiswrapper without hangs on modprobe or (sometimes) kernel hangs. I am using the XP driver but it seems *very unstable* to the point of being completely unusable.

This might be due to the fact that I am using Maverick (10.10 - x86_64) rather than Natty (11.04) so that I get closed source ATI drivers without problems and also Natty (Alpha) is a bit unstable for me at the moment.

Real shame as everything else seems to work including BlueTooth (with drivers added as per discussion thread) and sound. I have the AMD watermark (unsupported) but 3D works fine even if it takes more power than necessary. Running on ethernet it is absolutely fine. I really wish I could swap the WiFi card in the Mac for one that works under Ubuntu.

Other problem with the Mac is that VirtualBox 4.xx under OS/X (with new Quad Core i7) is utter garbage - I can only get 32 bit VMs to work with 1 x CPU allocated otherwise it runs *very slowly* with 100% CPU on the host. Looks like a CPU bug to me or a bad OS/X bug. Means I cannot run either Ubuntu or CentOS as 64 bit VMs - which was the whole point of me buying a Mac - having a single machine that I could run Linux, OS/X and Windows on.

Very disappointed - I just hope that Apple and/or Oracle (VirtualBox) fix this. Bit of a deal breaker for me

It would be nice is Broadcom supported the Linux community a bit more. Come on guys - even a binary blob based driver would be better than the current scenario (and I am with RMS on this one - binary blobs in the kernel are a big no-no for me).

Is it worth me compiling up a new version of ndiswrapper or does this not make any difference?
    Also - does anybody know how to disable the AMD watermark?

Beans

Look at my other post #177 on page 18

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandThread View Post
    Other problem with the Mac is that VirtualBox 4.xx under OS/X (with new Quad Core i7) is utter garbage - I can only get 32 bit VMs to work with 1 x CPU allocated otherwise it runs *very slowly* with 100% CPU on the host.
    A bit offtopic, but this is a known VirtualBox bug. You can work around it by booting into the OS X 32-bit kernel.

Beans

I have a new MacBookPro8.3 17“ + RealSSD C300 256Gb and it's working with 10.10 64bit.

WLAN is working with ndiswrapper
    Graphic is working with AMD driver

but I have a problem with booting: if I start windows (doing reboot, and not shutdown) before starting ubuntu than everything is working. If not ubuntu is loading and working very slow. It seems that the problem is on some devices IRQ etc. that are not initialized by ubuntu, or need to be initialized before ubuntu starts. Does someone has the same issues?

Beans

Hi all!
    I have a pair of problem with the wireless... (I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 on a MacBook Pro 8.1)

I have read the guide you written, but I arleady have some problem with my home wireless... I can connect to all other wireless except mine.

I see the wireless but when I try to connect network-manager say to me that I put a wrong password! I tried with wicd too, but don't work.

My home wireless have a WPA and WPA2 - TKIP and AES cipher coding...

This is the output with iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"tie-51841"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.422 GHz Access Point: 64:87: D7:00:82:99
    Bit Rate=144 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Management: off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I hope that you understand my problem!

PS I have another problem with ndiswrapper... if I add it to the modules startup ubuntu won't startup xD

PPS I read in the guide that keyboard special function don't work.. but in mine work! I can change screen brightness and keyboard brightness too with f1,f2,f5 and f6...

Beans

Hi all,

MacBook Pro 8,2, tried both with beta1 and April 5th's daily (for amd64), I can't boot any variation of the installer because the dvdrom isn't found.

The only relevant errors I appear to be getting are along the lines of:
    Code:
    [    6.757775] ata2.01: failed to resume link (SControl 0)
    (in full at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589971/ )

Trying to mount /dev/sg0 gives me "not a block device". sda1 is mountable tho, so the sata controller seems to be picked up okay (I know this was an earlier bug with 7,1s).

Has anyone else seen this? I see no mention here nor on the wiki, which seems odd for what is, to me, a showstopper.

Thanks

(edit: dmesg in entirety at http://paste.ubuntu.com/589977/ just in case being selective isn't helping)
    Last edited by soneil; April 6th, 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Beans

Ubuntu Maverick 2.6.35-28-generic on MacBookPro 8,2 15", default MC723 configuration.

I've tried to install packages from mactel-support, but nothing from it seems to work.

1) Keyboard - fn button is ignored.
    Keyboard model I'm using - MacBook Pro (intl), layouts - United States\USA and Russian Federation\Russia.
    Can somebody with working Fn post steps to activate it, as well as working keyboard model and layout? Is it possible to setup Fn+Up as PageUp, etc...?

2) Touchpad tab on mouse preferences screen does not appear, xorg.conf settings are ignored. Again, exact steps to make it working?

3) Internal speakers are silent, but when I use headset it works like charm. How I can unmute them?

4) Internal Mic does not work in skype. In Gnome volume control it's unmuted but no spikes on meter even when I speak. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    PS. Temporary for media buttons I'm using Cmd+F7... combinations.

Page 20 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast