Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by jedibrand View Post
    Are you positive there's no linux drivers available? Have you tried getting the HW ID for the device and looking up drivers for that?
    I searched for 'wl-608', but never for the USB id. Pretty stupid of me... Anyway, it led me to this useful guide: http://johnsunixtips.blogspot.com/20...sb-dongle.html. I managed to get the adapter working, it finds wireless networks including the one I need, so thanks for that :>.

Trying to connect, however, gives me another problem. My network is protected with a WPA2-PSK key. If I just select my network from the Network Manager menu and fill in the key, it will try connecting for half a minute and then shows the password-input screen again (which, I believe, means the password is incorrect). I've rechecked the key I filled in tons of times, but it keeps failing.

When I temporarily turn off key protection from my router's settings, it connects fine and everything is set as it should be (both on the router and on the mac). Even worse, after attempting to connect with the key enabled, it doesn't show any signs in the router log (whereas it normally would record an 'authorization failed' event). This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the way Ubuntu sends the WPA2 Personal Key back to the router (or something... I'm not an expert). It sounds like a pretty straight-forward problem, so if anyone knows what to do about it, that would be great.

In any case, I'll try out Lynxe's method as well.

Beans

Can anyone tell me how to disable the ati graphics card and use only the intel chip under ubuntu? I don't need the high powered graphics chip and would like to save heat and battery life by forcing only the intel chip to operate. I have a fully specced out macbook pro 8,3.

In addition, does anyone else have trouble with the touchpad? It seems to act jumpy and sometimes the cursor disappears under natty. This all goes away when I use a usb mouse.

Quick summary of what I've done -- let me know if anyone recommends differently right now. Installed natty, added mactel-ppa, installed macfanctld, using wireless usb card to workaround internal wireless driver issues. I updated natty and bluetooth started working. Everything seems fine except my effective battery life is 70% of what it is under mac and the touchpad is problematic to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So there really is no solution to the wireless yet? Even with natty if i get myself a nice new 17" sandy bridge mac I have no wifi.....
    that stinks...

Beans

Finally got my Macbookpro8,2 booting successfully under EFI using the integrated Intel card with the Radeon switched off. I'm running linux-mainline (3.0 final) with the LVDS dual channel patch applied.

I've attached the dual channel patch and my grub.cfg. I'm booting using the Apple bootloader straight into grub. I copied grub.efi to /dev/sda1/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI (Mac book partition).

Thanks to Sloth and others on the forum for the info!

grub.cfg

Code:
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod font
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2

if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      load_env
    fi

set debug=video

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

set menu_color_normal=light-blue/black
    set menu_color_highlight=light-cyan/blue

if loadfont ${prefix}/unicode.pf2
     then
      insmod gfxterm
      set gfxmode=auto
      set gfxpayload=keep
      terminal_output gfxterm
    fi

terminal_input console
    terminal_output gfxterm
    set timeout=15

menuentry 'Arch Linux vmlinuz26-mainline Fallback' --class archlinux --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
            set root=(hd0,gpt3)
            fix_video
            loadbios /vbios.bin /int10.bin
            outb 0x728 1
            outb 0x710 2
            outb 0x740 2
            outb 0x750 0
            echo    'Loading Linux vmlinuz-linux-mainline ...'
            linux   /vmlinuz-linux-mainline root=/dev/sda5 rootfstype=ext4 ro i915.lvds_channels=2
            echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
            initrd  /initramfs-linux-mainline-fallback.img
    }

if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    Patch
    Code:
    diff -rupN linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c
    --- linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c   2011-07-21 20:17:23.000000000 -0600
    +++ linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.c     2011-07-23 19:09:40.485052832 -0600
    @@ -70,6 +70,10 @@ module_param_named(vbt_sdvo_panel_type,
     static bool i915_try_reset = true;
     module_param_named(reset, i915_try_reset, bool, 0600);

+unsigned int i915_lvds_channels = 0;
    +module_param_named(lvds_channels, i915_lvds_channels, int, 0600);
    +MODULE_PARM_DESC(lvds_channels, "LVDS channels in use: 0=(default) probe hardware 1=single 2=dual");
    +
     static struct drm_driver driver;
     extern int intel_agp_enabled;

diff -rupN linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h
    --- linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h   2011-07-21 20:17:23.000000000 -0600
    +++ linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_drv.h     2011-07-23 19:10:27.611535702 -0600
    @@ -990,6 +990,7 @@ extern unsigned int i915_fbpercrtc;
     extern int i915_panel_ignore_lid;
     extern unsigned int i915_powersave;
     extern unsigned int i915_semaphores;
    +extern unsigned int i915_lvds_channels;
     extern unsigned int i915_lvds_downclock;
     extern unsigned int i915_panel_use_ssc;
     extern int i915_vbt_sdvo_panel_type;
    diff -rupN linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c
    --- linux-3.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c      2011-07-21 20:17:23.000000000 -0600
    +++ linux-3.0-lvds//drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c        2011-07-23 19:15:35.153669618 -0600
    @@ -354,6 +354,17 @@ static const intel_limit_t intel_limits_
             .find_pll = intel_find_pll_ironlake_dp,
     };

+static bool intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(struct drm_i915_private *dev_priv,
    +                                           int lvds_reg)
    +{
    +  /* Did the user specify the number of channels? */
    +  if (i915_lvds_channels)
    +    return i915_lvds_channels == 2;
    +  
    +  /* No, let's probe the current status of the hardware instead. */
    +  return (I915_READ(lvds_reg) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) == LVDS_CLKB_POWER_UP;
    +}
    +
     static const intel_limit_t *intel_ironlake_limit(struct drm_crtc *crtc,
                                                    int refclk)
     {
    @@ -362,8 +373,7 @@ static const intel_limit_t *intel_ironla
            const intel_limit_t *limit;

if (intel_pipe_has_type(crtc, INTEL_OUTPUT_LVDS)) {
    -               if ((I915_READ(PCH_LVDS) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) ==
    -                   LVDS_CLKB_POWER_UP) {
    +               if (intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(dev_priv, PCH_LVDS)) {
                            /* LVDS dual channel */
                            if (refclk == 100000)
                                    limit = &intel_limits_ironlake_dual_lvds_100m;
    @@ -391,8 +401,7 @@ static const intel_limit_t *intel_g4x_li
            const intel_limit_t *limit;

if (intel_pipe_has_type(crtc, INTEL_OUTPUT_LVDS)) {
    -               if ((I915_READ(LVDS) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) ==
    -                   LVDS_CLKB_POWER_UP)
    +               if (intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(dev_priv, LVDS))
                            /* LVDS with dual channel */
                            limit = &intel_limits_g4x_dual_channel_lvds;
                    else
    @@ -523,14 +532,7 @@ intel_find_best_PLL(const intel_limit_t

if (intel_pipe_has_type(crtc, INTEL_OUTPUT_LVDS) &&
                (I915_READ(LVDS)) != 0) {
    -               /*
    -                * For LVDS, if the panel is on, just rely on its current
    -                * settings for dual-channel.  We haven't figured out how to
    -                * reliably set up different single/dual channel state, if we
    -                * even can.
    -                */
    -               if ((I915_READ(LVDS) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) ==
    +               if (intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(dev_priv, LVDS))
                            clock.p2 = limit->p2.p2_fast;
                    else
                            clock.p2 = limit->p2.p2_slow;
    @@ -594,8 +596,7 @@ intel_g4x_find_best_PLL(const intel_limi
                            lvds_reg = PCH_LVDS;
                    else
                            lvds_reg = LVDS;
    -               if ((I915_READ(lvds_reg) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) ==
    +               if (intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(dev_priv, lvds_reg))
                            clock.p2 = limit->p2.p2_fast;
                    else
                            clock.p2 = limit->p2.p2_slow;
    @@ -4961,7 +4962,7 @@ static int ironlake_crtc_mode_set(struct
            if (is_lvds) {
                    if ((intel_panel_use_ssc(dev_priv) &&
                         dev_priv->lvds_ssc_freq == 100) ||
    -                   (I915_READ(PCH_LVDS) & LVDS_CLKB_POWER_MASK) == LVDS_CLKB_POWER_UP)
    +                    intel_lvds_is_dual_channel_mode(dev_priv, PCH_LVDS))
                            factor = 25;
            } else if (is_sdvo && is_tv)
                    factor = 20;
    Last edited by fooblahblah; July 24th, 2011 at 05:42 AM.

Beans

fooblahblah, sweet thanks for this info on efi booting with intel card. And your running arch? Guess that means everything should be clear to run arch on this macbook too. I'll give it a whirl and see how things go. I have until now been using refit to boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    fooblahblah, sweet thanks for this info on efi booting with intel card. And your running arch? Guess that means everything should be clear to run arch on this macbook too. I'll give it a whirl and see how things go. I have until now been using refit to boot.
    Yeah, I'm running Arch with the linux-mainline build and the patch I posted integrated into the package. I can send you the AUR package bits if you want.

One issue I'm having is getting my external monitor to work. It's detected, I can see this under KDE, but the display does not have anything being shown. The builtin LCD is working just fine via dual channel patch...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fooblahblah View Post
    Yeah, I'm running Arch with the linux-mainline build and the patch I posted integrated into the package. I can send you the AUR package bits if you want.

One issue I'm having is getting my external monitor to work. It's detected, I can see this under KDE, but the display does not have anything being shown. The builtin LCD is working just fine via dual channel patch...
    I'm using Arch too. Have you had any problems with kernel panics or X freezing?
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anon7-2521 View Post
    I'm using Arch too. Have you had any problems with kernel panics or X freezing?
    Previously, I was having spurious kernel panics under BIOS emulation. It's too early to say yet with the EFI system. Today is my first day using it at work so I'll report back when I have more time with the system.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my external monitor to work under EFI/Intel gfx.

Beans

Previously, I was having spurious kernel panics under BIOS emulation. It's too early to say yet with the EFI system. Today is my first day using it at work so I'll report back when I have more time with the system.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my external monitor to work under EFI/Intel gfx.
    I'm not using rEFIt. I'm using a bios GRUB on my MBR.
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans

Thanks for the patch.

It worked for my 8,2 also (running oneiric alpha), but with the same issue. Also, I lose control of LCD brightness.

But battery life seems to be more than doubled. A worthwhile tradeoff.

edit:
    A crude work around for the lack of backlight control is to boot into osx, crank the brightness, then reboot. The brightness will stay cranked.
    Last edited by kopophex; July 26th, 2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: addendum

Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast