Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    Nope. You didn't say on what hardware though (i've got a mbp 13 8,1)... Sounds like bad RAM to me, alternatively ndiswrapper or some such.
    Sorry. It's a 13" 8,1. I'm not using ndiswrapper, and just am using a USB adapter for internet. This happens to me on EVERY distro I've tried. When I took it to the apple store, it passed all of their hardware tests, and nothing is showing in the logs.
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans

With regard to turning off 'tap-to-click' when using the xf86-input driver

Quote Originally Posted by koham View Post
    But as i'm using "multitouch" drivers i believe i can't use that option with it
    The tap to click option is turned on by default an not accessible as an option; you have to recompile the driver with the option turned off. This has been reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/+bug/688246

I haven't tried recompiling yet, but will likely do so in the next few days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerh View Post
    With regard to turning off 'tap-to-click' when using the xf86-input driver

The tap to click option is turned on by default an not accessible as an option; you have to recompile the driver with the option turned off. This has been reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-support/+bug/688246

I haven't tried recompiling yet, but will likely do so in the next few days.
    No you don't. Open up a terminal and type "synclient maxtaptime=0" then you can add that to your autostart list. OR you can edit the synaptics config to say 0.
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anon7-2521 View Post
    Sorry. It's a 13" 8,1. I'm not using ndiswrapper, and just am using a USB adapter for internet. This happens to me on EVERY distro I've tried. When I took it to the apple store, it passed all of their hardware tests, and nothing is showing in the logs.
    I forgot to say i'm running natty, not maverick, if that matters. The intel driver for X in maverick could very well be the reason for the freezes, since it's not really mature enough for the intel hd 3000 in sandy bridge. If you're running natty though, i'll bet the USB network adapter is the cause for the freezes though, if the RAM checks out (which it prolly does if the apple techs ran hardware tests on the macbook).
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

I forgot to say i'm running natty, not maverick, if that matters. The intel driver for X in maverick could very well be the reason for the freezes, since it's not really mature enough for the intel hd 3000 in sandy bridge. If you're running natty though, i'll bet the USB network adapter is the cause for the freezes though, if the RAM checks out (which it prolly does if the apple techs ran hardware tests on the macbook).
    Hmmm that's an interesting theory. What makes you think that? It happens in ALL distros. Maverick, Natty, even Archlinux.

Beans

Just pure speculation on my part, of course, but it stands to reason that if you've got a combo that's unstable (mbp+linux+usb), and you eliminate the factors that are generally known not to cause hard freezes (mbp+linux, based on the assumption that the mbp hardware checks out, that is), the usb network adpater stands as the most probable cause IMHO.
    Personally, i have run other distros than natty on my macbook, and they work great as well. No hard freezes.
    If i were you, i'd pull it out for a day or two, and see what happens. I myself use the wired connection, since the built in wireless doesn't work yet.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

Just pure speculation on my part, of course, but it stands to reason that if you've got a combo that's unstable (mbp+linux+usb), and you eliminate the factors that are generally known not to cause hard freezes (mbp+linux, based on the assumption that the mbp hardware checks out, that is), the usb network adpater stands as the most probable cause IMHO.
    Personally, i have run other distros than natty on my macbook, and they work great as well. No hard freezes.
    If i were you, i'd pull it out for a day or two, and see what happens. I myself use the wired connection, since the built in wireless doesn't work yet.
    Unfortunately I can't use a wired connection because I need to use my laptop at school which only has wireless.

Beans

Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu (Maverick) as a dual-boot on a macbook ro 8,2. I'ts too bad that there is no support for this wireless network card yet (is there?), but I was trying to get a sitecom usb adapter (WL-608) working in the meantime, using ndiswrapper. Problem is, I can't find an aproppriate .inf and .sys file. The last version I could find was WL-352 here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...m=Senao+3054MP

If anyone could help me with it I'd be very grateful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezzhead View Post
    Hi,

I've installed Ubuntu (Maverick) as a dual-boot on a macbook ro 8,2. I'ts too bad that there is no support for this wireless network card yet (is there?), but I was trying to get a sitecom usb adapter (WL-608) working in the meantime, using ndiswrapper. Problem is, I can't find an aproppriate .inf and .sys file. The last version I could find was WL-352 here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...m=Senao+3054MP

If anyone could help me with it I'd be very grateful.
    Are you positive there's no linux drivers available? Have you tried getting the HW ID for the device and looking up drivers for that?

Beans

I have a MacBook Pro 7,1.
    I've been having similar problems, but I did find a collection of fixes for them.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro7-1/Natty
    The wireless fix listed on this page worked for me, as did some of the others. I managed to break my screen brightness adjustment, still not sure how. I also am having trouble with my trackpad, especially dragging things.
    Hope this helps!

Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast