Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by patientfox View Post
    Great news! Do you think you could update the wiki page? (I linked to it earlier in the thread) with this info?

Thanks.
    I just added what I could for now.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k
    How does that work anyway? If i do nothing, is the radeon active as the default display adapter? It's more often the other way around on hybrid graphics laptops (intel is the "primary" display adapter).
    The radeon is not active on my system (driver isn't installed), so I assume that it is the intel graphics that are working for me. It detects that radeon needs drivers, but they aren't the right ones. I tried to install them earlier and lost all graphical parts to the system. I am going to wait to install them until they are released.

I think I like the classic desktop mode better at this point anyway, but that is just a preference.

Beans

Hey, dont want to come off pushy or anything but has any more work happened with documenting what works and dosnt on the wiki?

There are lots of question marks everywhere and im going to be in the market for a laptop VERY soon... these laptops are a choice so just wondering if anyone would be very nice and take the time to document:

3D Acceleration
    HFS/HFS+
    CD/DVD Writing
    Suspend & Hibernate

also, does anyone think it would be possible to do a complete remap of the keyboard to try and get some of the buttons working?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brian242r View Post
    Hey, dont want to come off pushy or anything but has any more work happened with documenting what works and dosnt on the wiki?

There are lots of question marks everywhere and im going to be in the market for a laptop VERY soon... these laptops are a choice so just wondering if anyone would be very nice and take the time to document:

3D Acceleration
    HFS/HFS+
    CD/DVD Writing
    Suspend & Hibernate

also, does anyone think it would be possible to do a complete remap of the keyboard to try and get some of the buttons working?
    I am positive that most if not all of this will be working (and documented) in the near future. But, right now there are only a few people that own this very new equipment. The work is being done to make sure it is compatible for the upcoming release of Natty which is right now in its alpha stages.

As for remapping keyboard buttons, I am positive this can be done, but I am trying to modify my system as little as possible for the time being.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gforster View Post
    I am positive that most if not all of this will be working (and documented) in the near future. But, right now there are only a few people that own this very new equipment. The work is being done to make sure it is compatible for the upcoming release of Natty which is right now in its alpha stages.

As for remapping keyboard buttons, I am positive this can be done, but I am trying to modify my system as little as possible for the time being.
    Fair enough call....

Do you think that ALL of it will work with Natty? even the integrated graphics?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brian242r View Post
    Fair enough call....

Do you think that ALL of it will work with Natty? even the integrated graphics?
    I have great faith in the community, so yes, I do believe it will all eventually be working. But, do not take that as a guarantee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have not tested much, but most is already working fine, tho not documented. And when mactel is available for Natty I believe keyboard/backlight brightness, keys and so on will work as on earlier macbook pro's, which is perfectly.

The two small concerns I have is graphic and wireless. But the Sandy Bridge (HD3000) chip should work fine in 2.6.38, even with good performance (ref. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._13lines&num=1). And I have hopes that the broadcom wifi-chip will work with the new open-source driver in the mainline kernel. **fingers crossed!**

ndiswrapper is a ugly and hopefully temporary solution.

Beans

Unless support for this chip suddenly emerges and the Ubuntu kernel team backports the support the open source driver will not support it. The driver in 2.6.38 does _not_ support this chip. Our best bet is to get a new binary driver from broadcom.

The intel graphics "works" but it is rather easy to crash the system or at least cause a GPU hang (even fullscreen youtube will do it). Hopefully mesa 7.10.1 will help with this as it has a bunch of sandy bridge fixes.

I have no idea what is happening with the Fn keys but I doubt it'll work out of the box on natty, it'll need a PPA.

I actually haven't closed the lid on this laptop since I installed natty so I'll have to see if suspend/resume works but intel is usually pretty good at that and since we currently don't even have drivers for mostly anything else I don't expect to see problems.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans

Hello guys,

I would like to get on board with this thread. I just got the 17" 2011 mbp and no wifi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just managed to get wireless working on my 8,2 using Amaranth's driver and boowebb's instructions. Working fine and no crashes so far.

The instructions are up on the wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...Natty#Wireless

Note: you HAVE to be using amd64 for this to work.

Thanks a lot to Amaranth and boowebb for getting this working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Okay I tried sudo update-manager -d and let me tell you what.... FAIL. I am setting up for a straight fresh install of natty, my screen went all wonky. And to top it off the wifi would show the networks but wouldnt connect. Any ideas?

Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast