Page 19 of 89 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Has anybody tried compiling and running what was here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php ? It lists 4331 support...
    Last edited by dmb; March 26th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Beans

Where did you see that the 4331 is supported by this driver ?
    I checked in the readme and in the code and didn't see any reference to it.

I tried to compile the driver but it seems they use a macro not present in the header of the kernel.
    I replaced it by the true function (sema_init) and manage to compile the driver. I am going to test it now.

[EDIT] : I confirmed, it does not work. I load the module and nothing happens
    Last edited by poppop; March 26th, 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

I'm curious, has anyone had any success getting gpu switching to work?

Even offline would be fine. I'm pretty sure I'd stick to the intel gpu almost all of the time if I had the option.

EDIT: Also, is there a list of options for the multitouch driver anywhere?
    Last edited by Baughn; March 26th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    Where did you see that the 4331 is supported by this driver ?
    I checked in the readme and in the code and didn't see any reference to it.

I tried to compile the driver but it seems they use a macro not present in the header of the kernel.
    I replaced it by the true function (sema_init) and manage to compile the driver. I am going to test it now.

[EDIT] : I confirmed, it does not work. I load the module and nothing happens
    Sorry, I was reading earlier in the thread where someone said it said that on the website. However, I read here: http://investor.broadcom.com/release...leaseID=474934 , they say they support linux?

Beans

Is there any possibility that we can extract the driver from Mac OS or Bootcamp and make it use in Ubuntu?Just an idea and I don't really know about Mac OS driver logic but I know it got something similar with Linux party.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fsjack View Post
    Is there any possibility that we can extract the driver from Mac OS or Bootcamp and make it use in Ubuntu?Just an idea and I don't really know about Mac OS driver logic but I know it got something similar with Linux party.
    NDISWrapper is basically what you said(an extra windows driver), but I would not recommend it, it is a work around, not a solution, and will not work well(as well as being a non-free solution).

Beans
    Hidden!

Has anybody had any luck with the screen backlight?

I'm sure I had it change once in Ubuntu, but I get nothing now.

Quote Originally Posted by axflash View Post
    The driver for that one was merged post 2.6.38, so it will be in 2.6.39-rc1 and on. So it wont work in natty out of the box, but at least there's an open driver (and not in just staging) that can be backported easily for natty.

Should have mentioned that, sorry. It's the smallest one I could find, so it can remain in the laptop even while traveling etc. It seems to work reasonably well. Fast discovery and connect to the network. It's not very fast though, I only get 1-2Mb/s throughput.
    Do you have instructions or hints on compiling the driver? I got this little adpater and downloaded the Realtek (v 2.0.1324 from 1/26/2011) which should be the correct driver for the hardware.

I had to update some of the source files so it would compile (a mutex call and a autodiscover call). it compiled fine and I can see networks but it will not ultimately connect to a secured wireless network (WPA) - it just spins & ultimately asks me to enter the key for the network over and over.

I'm running 64-bit Natty A3 - there is little documentation on compiling the 8192cu driver and I didn't find anything on if it's available for 64-bit.

Beans

I too got an 8192cu device as a replacement for getting wifi going on my laptop however the driver required porting to 2.6.38 and frequently causes kernel issues. As far as I can tell the porting I did is not the cause. Perhaps there is another driver I've not found since you mention support being added to 2.6.39 and the one on realtek's website is obviously not suitable for that (it's a chunk of common code with an OS abstraction layer).

For now I just plugged the wifi dongle in to my desktop and stole its ethernet cord so I can at least get online easily while at my desk. I use USB tethering with my phone when I'm not at my desk.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to connect and disconnect from a second monitor with the Intel Sandy Bridge IGP? I'm willing to run the 2.6.38 kernel in Maverick, but I need to know that multi-monitor configurations work well.

Page 19 of 89 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast