Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

As far as graphics mesa 7.10.1 seems to be very buggy with sandy bridge, even fullscreen flash crashes it for me. I enabled the xorg-edgers ppa to get 7.11 git snapshots and all of my issues went away.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    As far as graphics mesa 7.10.1 seems to be very buggy with sandy bridge, even fullscreen flash crashes it for me. I enabled the xorg-edgers ppa to get 7.11 git snapshots and all of my issues went away.
    How hot is it getting? 7.1 (nvidia) is too hot for my liking.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been very busy with getting actual work done for the last week and am quite impressed concerning all of the progress that has been made during this time. You guys are awesome!

I have my bluetooth apple aluminum keyboard and mighty mouse working with no configuration. Not sure how other bluetooth devices might work. Maybe I'll try getting my phone connected later.

The mactel PPA is working nicely for the keyboard & trackpad (dkms).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by gforster View Post
    I've been very busy with getting actual work done for the last week and am quite impressed concerning all of the progress that has been made during this time. You guys are awesome!

I have my bluetooth apple aluminum keyboard and mighty mouse working with no configuration. Not sure how other bluetooth devices might work. Maybe I'll try getting my phone connected later.

The mactel PPA is working nicely for the keyboard & trackpad (dkms).
    What do you mean working? Ex: Right clicking, Fn keys, Scrolling, Backlight?
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Or visit my blog (No Ads)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Espen11 View Post
    How hot is it getting? 7.1 (nvidia) is too hot for my liking.
    I've got the intel only graphics but while maxing out both cores and the GPU (one core doing a busy loop, the other running the game) the only part that is uncomfortably warm is the edge of the vent, the rest warms up a bit but not enough to be a concern. That was with OS X though, I actually haven't tested since. I ran that test in the store before I bought it.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    I've got the intel only graphics but while maxing out both cores and the GPU (one core doing a busy loop, the other running the game) the only part that is uncomfortably warm is the edge of the vent, the rest warms up a bit but not enough to be a concern. That was with OS X though, I actually haven't tested since. I ran that test in the store before I bought it.
    Ahh.. yes, but i was thinking about when running Ubuntu. The MBP 7.1 13" i have now gets very hot just by normal desktop use with compiz. I think it's because of the nvidia chip. But with 8.1 13" this should be equal to OSX (because no extra GPU chip), and therefor also equal battery life.

Hopefully, that's what i'm asking about.

Beans

Hey, a few questions for the 15/17" owners, regarding the hybrid/switchable GPU;

* Does the hybrid/switchable graphics work at all, i.e can you at least disable the ATI card and force the intel?
    * Which GPU does the macbook boot into by default (intel/ATI)

See here for more info -
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _mario_ View Post
    so, you can confirm that backlight adjustment does work on Linux? that's also very interesting. do you know which driver is responsible for this? and what does
    Code:
    ls -l /sys/class/backlight/
    output?

thanks & ciao,
    Mario
    Backlight adjustment works fine, out of the box. There's a virtual acpi driver for this:

$: /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/acpi_video0$ grep . *
    actual_brightness:15
    bl_power:0
    brightness:15
    max_brightness:16

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by b16a2smith View Post
    What do you mean working? Ex: Right clicking, Fn keys, Scrolling, Backlight?
    Sorry for being unclear. When I originally installed the dkms packages, I lost all functionality of the keyboard and trackpad. I gained original functionality back (temporarily).

Fn keys (brightness, contrast, volume) work. I haven't checked play/pause, fast forward, rewind. Expose/Dashboard do nothing, but the keycodes are recognized in xev. I updated this afternoon and lost trackpad functionality altogether. I'm not sure what happened.

I have the bluetooth mighty mouse and aluminum keyboard which are working with no configuration (under System > Preferences> Bluetooth it tells me that my system has no bluetooth adapters plugged in. The scroll ball does not work on the mouse and the Fn keys do not work on the aluminum keyboard.

The backlight is not working for me either.

Beans

How do your keyboard/mouse work if the bluetooth is not dectected ?

Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast